Degassing with ultrasonic bath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degassing with ultrasonic bath

Does anybody use an ultrasonic bath to degas their beer samples for testing ABV, running through spec, or anything else? I am currently stirring on a stir plate until I don't see any CO2 left, however this can take over a full day to and I'm not sure how reliable or consist this is. I'm considering purchasing an ultrasonic bath but want it to be worth while and affordable. I'm also wondering how large I would need. We don't have a spec yet, but we will in the near future, so I would need it large enough to process those samples.

Any input is put appreciated!

I wouldn't advise either degassing method mentioned as both are way too vigorous, so likely to cause evaporation of alcohol and other constituents. This will mean analysis results won't be accurate.

For abv, filtration through a standard lab filter paper (eg. Whatman #1), covered, is fine.

For bitterness we always used two drops of octanol into the empty sample bottle. This prevents foaming during sampling and allows the beer to be pipetted out without gas breakout problems.

Comment

I've tried using our ultrasonic bath for de-gassing bottles of beer. I still have some beer splatter on the ceiling. The de-gassing is rather vigorous!
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

I follow the method supplied by Anton Paar for the Alex 500.

I put a couple of spoonfuls of Celite in a pleated filter paper, pour beer over, stir it up and let it filter through. I usually filter at least 150ml for testing.

Comment

Awesome. Is there anything else to the method or is it basically as straight forward as you described? I think i'm going to try this.

Originally posted by wrbQC View Post
          I follow the method supplied by Anton Paar for the Alex 500.

I put a couple of spoonfuls of Celite in a pleated filter paper, pour beer over, stir it up and let it filter through. I usually filter at least 150ml for testing.

Comment

Hey Ziggy,

The method also states to put a watch glass over the top to avoid evaporation but I was informed that this is not necessary as there will be little evaporation if you are testing right away.

I also let the samples warm up to room temperature as the Alex will not measure them if they are cold.

Comment

Originally posted by ziggy beersci View Post
              Does anybody use an ultrasonic bath to degas their beer samples for testing ABV, running through spec, or anything else? I am currently stirring on a stir plate until I don't see any CO2 left, however this can take over a full day to and I'm not sure how reliable or consist this is. I'm considering purchasing an ultrasonic bath but want it to be worth while and affordable. I'm also wondering how large I would need. We don't have a spec yet, but we will in the near future, so I would need it large enough to process those samples.

Any input is put appreciated!
              I usually use a side arm flask with a solid stopper and pull a vacuum while it is spinning on a stir plate to degas. Works great for degassing for hydrometer readings.

Comment

FWIW, we just added degassing per ASBC beer-1. 10ul tributyl phosphate into 500ml baffled flask, 250ml beer, 10 more ul TBP, shake on orbital shaker for 12 min.
                Josiah Blomquist
                Head Brewer
                Iron Triangle Brewing Co
                Los Angeles, CA

Comment

Originally posted by AndyHannas View Post
                  I usually use a side arm flask with a solid stopper and pull a vacuum while it is spinning on a stir plate to degas. Works great for degassing for hydrometer readings.
                  This will definitely pull alcohol out, any vacuum will reduce the vapor pressure required for most fluids to evaporate. You are probably loosing some ethanol, and potentially water as well.

Comment

We place a plastic beaker covered with foil and weighted down in a ultrasonic bath and it works fine for degassing. It allows for consistency between samples, but good old fashioned hand shaking works just as well!

Comment

Working...
                    X