Bigger stout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger stout

We are working on a recipe for a higher gravity American imp stout. Starting gravity 1.10 (23.5p) and hoping it finishes below 1.020 (5p). We have had good success brewing 10+abv beers (I know, if it ain't broke don't fix it), but are looking into Trying something a little different.
    We are toying with the idea of brewing the first batch, pitch, and on day 2-3 brew the second batch (same gravity beer) and cast out into the same fermenter.
    We will already have built up a tolerant enough strain in previous batches to handle the abv, but we are curious if this method will help prevent any stalls.
    We are going to brew some pilot batches using both methods, just wanted to reach out and see if there were any pointers before hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why wait until 2 or 3 days later. If you pitch properly on day 1, then you should be able to run the same volume in on day 2, still in the growth phase slightly and keep the fermentation running. If you run the beer in later, I would think that you would be underpitched for the total work to be done, and to get back to growth phase you would need to add oxygen, which will just stall the fermentation. Brewing over multiple days and running it into an oversized fermenter is pretty common. Just search multiple day brewing.

Comment

Agree, pitch all the yeast on day one, brew in second on day two.

Comment

+1

Pitch all yeast day one. Aerate heavily on both batches. If you are extremely worried about stalling, aerate more within 24 hours of last casting. High activity will scrub out oxygen that is not taken up by cells in division.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I assumed as much. I had heard a podcast or something about some big beers (20% plus) and the method was to aerate and add fermentables daily until you reached your target.
          I can see however how this method is unnecessary when using strains that can handle the more moderate (10-12%) levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It will be difficult to get high alcohol with a method like that. Aeration stops fermentation and alcohol production, but there will still be a gravity drop. Your best bet is to brew twice since it is likely that your mash tun cant handle a full sized grain bill, aerate the wort each time, but pitch a proper pitch on the first batch, it will grow, then the second batch will grow some more, and you will ferment out. Its like a really big starter.

Comment

Working...
            X