Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding tank for RO water

Hi all,

This is a stupid simple question that probably has a complicated answer but I've yet to see anyone specifically mention their holding tank.

What kind of tank do I need in terms of material to make sure no off-flavor is imparted? Let's assume I do not want to go SS because we're currently a 1BBL unitank setup, so that would arguably be more than our tank. We COULD just do it straight into our tank since we are only 1BBL, but I feel like it would be a lot easier to have some RO tanks that we can gravity feed into our tank for brewing and cleaning.

I assume I can just get some sort of industrial-grade 50 gallon drum for water BUT my assumptions have led me to plenty of accidents before. Something along the lines of these: https://www.ntotank.com/potable-water-tanks ???

Appreciate the wisdom! I'll do some digging

Comment

Originally posted by WaterEng
      Yes, those HDPE tanks are suited for RO water storage. I recommend that you look for NSF-certified tanks to assure potability. Virgin HDPE resins are very inert, but if the tank has some recycled HDPE content, all bets are off.
      I forgot to ask, but is there a material you would recommend over HDPE (excluding Stainless)?

Comment

Originally posted by WaterEng
        Nothing wrong with HDPE. It's one of the most inert plastics and its widely available...which means its likely to be less expensive.
        I'd agree with this. Not sure about your configuration or use, but a recirculation loop is sometimes installed on RO holding tanks - typically with a UV sterilizer.

Russ
        Last edited by BuckeyeHydro; 04-21-2019, 05:36 AM.
        Water Treatment Systems & Supplies www.BuckeyeHydro.com
        Info@buckeyehydro.com 513-312-2343

Comment

Originally posted by CarterJ View Post
          Hi all,

This is a stupid simple question that probably has a complicated answer but I've yet to see anyone specifically mention their holding tank.

What kind of tank do I need in terms of material to make sure no off-flavor is imparted? Let's assume I do not want to go SS because we're currently a 1BBL unitank setup, so that would arguably be more than our tank. We COULD just do it straight into our tank since we are only 1BBL, but I feel like it would be a lot easier to have some RO tanks that we can gravity feed into our tank for brewing and cleaning.

I assume I can just get some sort of industrial-grade 50 gallon drum for water BUT my assumptions have led me to plenty of accidents before. Something along the lines of these: https://www.ntotank.com/potable-water-tanks ???
          We use this 300 gallon tank for a 2 BBL system. We also have a 4 BBL HLT. This stays full all the time, as is the HLT. http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/...ston-vt0300-35

Here's the list of NSF & FDA certified, virgin HDPE potable water vertical storage tanks: http://www.plastic-mart.com/category...-storage-tanks

The outlet is 2" FNPT on ours, so we have a 2" hex MNPT nipple to a 2" ball valve to a 2" MNPT x 1.5" TC reducing adaptor attached. We use our pump to move RO water to the HLT or CLT.
          Last edited by ChrisDino; 11-24-2017, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye Hydro View Post
            I'd agree with this. No sure about your configuration or use, but a recirulation loop is sometimes installed on RO holding tanks - typically with a UV sterilizer.

Russ
            I'm currently looking for a suitable UV sterilizer for recirculating 300 gallons of RO water. Any suggestions on the sterilizer, and a recirculating setup (including pump)?

Comment

Sure. Be happy to help you with that. Have the shop closed till Tuesday . Feel free to give us a call then.

Comment

Transfering RO Water

Hey Guys! I know this is an older thread but I'm just starting on our RO set up, in fact Russ from Buckeye Hydro has been helping us out. I have a few questions, and they may just be stupid questions on my part since I'm new to this. But here we go:

We would be purchasing a 500 gal holding tank where the RO water will be stored. Then put through the Tankless hot water heater and then pumped to our HLT and Mash Tun. Our System is a 3.5bbl PKW system with the BK, MT and HLT all in line. HLT is 120 Gallons and MT has a capacity of 155 Gallons, and we'll be double batching, hence a 500 gallon holding tank.

My questions are, How does the RO water get into the holding tank? I noticed that the 500 gallon tank I am looking at has basically a lid on the top and then a valve on the bottom. Just wondering how the RO water gets pumped into there, whether it be from the top or the bottom.

And then kind of the same thing for once the RO water is transferred from the Holding tank, through the tankless hot water heater and then into our HLT and Mash Tun, whats pumping from what?

Curious of what the set ups are for people.

Cheers!
                Mark

Comment

Mark - saw your email but maybe if I answer here it can help someone else out as well.
                  Originally posted by MAvery View Post
                  My questions are, How does the RO water get into the holding tank? I noticed that the 500 gallon tank I am looking at has basically a lid on the top and then a valve on the bottom. Just wondering how the RO water gets pumped into there, whether it be from the top or the bottom.
                  The purified water coming out of an RO system is pressurized - it's low pressure, but there is some. So the RO system will pump the water to the tank - you don't use a pump for this. You'd drill a hole in the top of the tank in a convenient location, and mount a threaded bulkhead. Into the bulkhead you'd screw a quick connect fitting. The tube from the RO system would push into this fitting. The exact fitting you need will depend on your situation, and we can talk off line to identify what would work best for you.

So the water from the RO enters the top of the tank and splashes down into the tank. Easy peezy.

And then kind of the same thing for once the RO water is transferred from the Holding tank, through the tankless hot water heater and then into our HLT and Mash Tun, whats pumping from what?
                  By definition, the water in an atmospheric tank is not pressurized. So in some situations you can gravity flow out of the tank, but in most situations the water has to be pumped. Water would come out of a bulkhead low in the tank and you'd pipe that to the inlet of a pump. The pump would then send it where ever you want it to go. For this purpose we've used high flow pumps and low flow pumps - it all depends upon what sort of flow (gallons per minute) you want. The higher the needed flow, the more expensive the pump. Regardless tho, we typically use a pump with an integrated pressure switch. So when an outlet calls for water, the pump automatically turns on and pressurizes the flow. When the outlet is closed, the pump turns off. So the pump would take water from the tank and send it through the heater to... wherever. You can manually open and close a valve at the outlet or hook up something like a float valve.

Make sense?

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye Hydro View Post
                    Mark - saw your email but maybe if I answer here it can help someone else out as well.

The purified water coming out of an RO system is pressurized - it's low pressure, but there is some. So the RO system will pump the water to the tank - you don't use a pump for this. You'd drill a hole in the top of the tank in a convenient location, and mount a threaded bulkhead. Into the bulkhead you'd screw a quick connect fitting. The tube from the RO system would push into this fitting. The exact fitting you need will depend on your situation, and we can talk off line to identify what would work best for you.

So the water from the RO enters the top of the tank and splashes down into the tank. Easy peezy.

By definition, the water in an atmospheric tank is not pressurized. So in some situations you can gravity flow out of the tank, but in most situations the water has to be pumped. Water would come out of a bulkhead low in the tank and you'd pipe that to the inlet of a pump. The pump would then send it where ever you want it to go. For this purpose we've used high flow pumps and low flow pumps - it all depends upon what sort of flow (gallons per minute) you want. The higher the needed flow, the more expensive the pump. Regardless tho, we typically use a pump with an integrated pressure switch. So when an outlet calls for water, the pump automatically turns on and pressurizes the flow. When the outlet is closed, the pump turns off. So the pump would take water from the tank and send it through the heater to... wherever. You can manually open and close a valve at the outlet or hook up something like a float valve.

Make sense?

Russ
                    Thanks Russ!

Comment

Working...
                    X