Counter pressure filler, gauge or no gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter pressure filler, gauge or no gauge

I'm buying one of the morebeer counter pressure fillers, and was wondering if it was worth it to get the one that has the pressure gauge on it?

Thanks

In my opinion, not really... but the difference is only $20, so if it makes you feel secure go for it. Presumably you would have a regulator feeding gas into the bottle, so you would know what you have going in. A slow bleed off during fill is going to get you where you need to be in the end. I've used the type without a regulator for years with no issues, and that is essentially how manual keg filling works as well.

Comment

I have a 3-head filling station I built and have all three with gauges. I hardly look at them. In the end, the adjustment on fill for the relief valve is based on getting just the right fill speed for me, not anything the gauge is reading. YMMV
      Dave Cowie
      Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
      Nevada City, CA

Comment

Get the gauge....

It will help you dial in the correct pressure for fill rate required. If you are running multiple heads, it helps to see what the counterpressure is so that you may adjust each individually. I'll always take more instrumentation. It really helps troubleshooting.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Thanks everyone, I don't mind the extra money, especially if it can help with consistency or make things easier. As long as the gauge won't hurt anything, I'm leaning towards getting the gauge.

Comment

If there is any chance of getting water, beer steam or CIP in the tube / fitting the gauge is fitted to, then make sure it is a hygienic, fully sealed type. Non hygienic ones will almost certainly rapidly corrode and stop working if they get moisture of any sort in them.
            dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
              If there is any chance of getting water, beer steam or CIP in the tube / fitting the gauge is fitted to, then make sure it is a hygienic, fully sealed type. Non hygienic ones will almost certainly rapidly corrode and stop working if they get moisture of any sort in them.
              This was one of the things I was worrying about, cleaning it. I've never had one of these in my hand, but you would think that foam and beer would be constantly getting to the bottom of the gauge, so I was hoping it was some sort of a hygienic type, but for that price maybe not?

Comment

Working...
              X