Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allowable percent non-grain/cereal fermentatbles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allowable percent non-grain/cereal fermentatbles?

I hope this is the right section. If not, please let me know and I will re-post elsewhere.

Working with a license 23 in CA. Small beer producer. Looking to find out how much of a recipe, by percent weight I assume, is allowed to be non-cereal ingredients.

Had the idea of doing a braggot, or a faux-cider, and a few other interesting offerings, but didn't want to go against legal regulations. Anyone happen to know what is permitted?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: thanks for moving this to the right area! Apologies for that mistake.
    Last edited by Tallest_Brewer; 12-23-2017, 09:07 PM.

Originally posted by Tallest_Brewer View Post
    I hope this is the right section. If not, please let me know and I will re-post elsewhere.

Working with a license 23 in CA. Small beer producer. Looking to find out how much of a recipe, by percent weight I assume, is allowed to be non-cereal ingredients.

Had the idea of doing a braggot, or a faux-cider, and a few other interesting offerings, but didn't want to go against legal regulations. Anyone happen to know what is permitted?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: thanks for moving this to the right area! Apologies for that mistake.
    I believe you need 51% of your fermentables from barley. Not sure where in TTB that is written, but I've done recipe formulas through TTB for using 49% (by volume) apple juice to 51% wort and they didn't have a problem with it.

Comment

That is what I was able to find out so far, but took some digging. I've sent out an inquiry to their formulations division though, as they say it has to be 51% "malted barley and or without allowed substitutes", and thus am curious what % is allowed of that 51% to be substitutes (sugar, etc).

Comment

Working...
      X