Thread: czech mini breweries - Mill

czech mini breweries - Mill

We are looking at buying a new mill for our 7bbl system, and have received a good quote from czech mini breweries for their MM-503EWR Malt mill 500 kg/h. When we asked them for pictures of the mill rollers they sent these pics;
    Name:  Mill Rollers.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  19.6 KB

We have never seen rollers like this before and would like to know if anyone has used czech mini breweries mills before or has used rollers in a mill like these before?

Thanks in advance
    Kevin

Those are ridiculously large flutes on their rollers. When I looked at this I was convinced they are designed for crushing grain for farmers to feed their cattle / chickens etc. and decided there really are not suitable as the degree of fine control is absent. They also didn't appear to be particularly dust proof.

Personally I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole

I have used and seen other sites use Alan Ruddock mills - www.brewing-equipment.co.uk/. They are absolutely bomb proof and dust free. Ruddocks also do conveyor systems - normally their own chain and flight type, but the brewery nearest me uses one of the 2 roll mills and mashes in directly as milled with a screw auger Ruddocks set up - with very good results.

I realise these are going to cost considerably more than the CMB ones, but having seen the results, both of the grind and the extract performance, a good mill is worth spending extra on.

I haven't seen one in use, but Bulk Storage and Process Systems, also UK based make a solid looking mill and grain / grist handling plant (probably more interest to UK viewers) - but I cannot recommend them at present - simply because I haven't seen one in action or used one.
    dick

I'm with Dick...

Ruddock mills are great equipment. So is RMSn in the US, which is similarly bombproof and a joy to work with. But for a small budget in a very small brewery, I would buy a Robix. Reliable and well-made without breaking the bank.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

We have a CMB mill, with rollers just like that.
    Its fast and the degree of crush control is decent and even.
    One thing to note is it's the noisiest mill i have ever used. Need to wear ear defenders to use it. Have used a Ruddock mill previously at Dark Star, they are indeed very nice (the grain elevator on the other hand, i wasnt as happy with and had problems)

However, CMB mill performance i'm pretty happy with and its been pretty bomb proof compared to other mills ive used which can be finicky.
    Last edited by GeorgeJ; 03-27-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    GeorgeJ
    Head Brewer - TDM 1874 Brewery.
    Yokohama, Japan.

Can't find them after a quick internet search. Do you have a website / contact details? Thanks
    dick

GeorgeJ
    Head Brewer - TDM 1874 Brewery.
    Yokohama, Japan.

Brain wasn't working. I thought you were referring to someone other than Czech Mini Breweries. I have already seen first hand some of their kit thanks.

Cheers
    dick