Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenticular vs Supradisk vs Suprapak

Please help

What is the real difference in usage of these three type of filter? When is it best to use each type?

So, to follow up - a 20 hl brew volume - some ales, some lagers - which is best to use? We only want to use one type for all beers. We will follow up with, in some cases at least, for greater shelf life, 1.0 or if necessary, 0.45 micron cartridge filtration.

Thanks
    dick

I was hoping someone else would take this, but I'll throw a little in here. Please correct me where needed.

It seems to me that lenticular is a type or family of filter, like plate and frame or candle.

Supradisc is a brand of filter made by Pallet for their lenticular housing. This is what we use.

Briefly: we centrifuge then go to 16x4 supradisc2 at 3-5 microns. Eliminates all yeast and most haze. The supradisc2 is available down to .5 microns, I think.

The supradisc2 is an important innovation, because these filter modules are reinforced to allow backflushing to regenerate the filter media. Can't do that with the original Supradisc.

I am not familiar with the suprapak.

Cheers.
    Mike Elliott
    Head Brewer
    Philipsburg Brewing Co.
    Montana

Comment

Thanks for the starter Mike.
      dick

Comment

Hi Mike / Dick,
        Mike, you are correct on everything you said, but I will expand a little on it.

I apologize in advance as this answer will be a bit long:

Like Mike said, Lenticular is the name for the filter style, so both supradisc and suprapak are lenticular filters. SUPRAdisc is the name of the Pall brand, however there are other manufacturers. All SUPRAdisc and SUPRAdisc II filters are lenticulars, ALL Lenticulars are NOT SUPRAdiscs (or SUPRApak).

SUPRAdisc II (SDII) is made by stacking individual sheets of media between polypro support and drainage structures. This means that the fluid (beer) passes through ONE sheet as it is filtered.

SUPRApak is made by rolling sheet media with drainage channels punched in it. This means that before the fluid can exit the filter, it passes through MULTIPLE layers of media. It also means that if you were to try to backflush, the mass of the media wouldn't allow it to be very effective. For this reason, SDII CAN be backflushed, and SUPRApak can only be flushed in the forward direction.

The SDII is better at lower batch sizes and flow rates - for beer, 1 gpm per m2, so since a 16" SDII module has 5m2 of surface area, it has a max flow of 5gpm per module. A housing can hold a max of 4 modules, so the max flow for a 16x4 setup would be 20 gpm (5gpm x 4 modules).

Suprapak has greater surface area per module (roughly 8m2 per 16" module), and the housings go to 6 hi, so you can get almost 50gpm flow rate. The individual filters may also cost less depending on local factors.

The biggest issue is that SUPRApak modules are not designed for high solids, and since it cannot be backflushed, it requires a gross particulate separator such as a centrifuge in front of it.

For final filtration, SDII is also recommended since the sealing technology on that style is more robust, and the grades go much finer. Pall also now has DE free versions in specific grades for both SDII and SUPRApak.

Some of my colleagues in the U.K. have experimented with SUPRApak after profile star filters and have had great success with it, but it may be due to differing beer styles or just brewing techniques, but if you are interested I can always put you in touch with them.

-------------------------------
        Long story short - SUPRAdisc II is typically for smaller operations. Batch sizes of under 100 hL and flow rates of 20gpm or less. SUPRApak is used when you need to go faster and can put a centrifuge in front to ensure that most of the larger particulate is removed.

Hope this clears it up a bit, but feel free to reach out if you have any more questions.

Thanks!

Milton Leland
        Milton.Leland@Pall.com
        (804) 385-8248

Disclaimer: While I do work for Pall Corporation, nothing said here is meant to represent Pall in any official capacity. As beer styles, especially those in craft, may vary greatly, the opinions expressed may not be applicable to your brewery or beer style. That being said, Pall is always here to help and support the Craft Brewing movement!

Comment

Milton - thanks very much

I have my own fairly strong opinions, as I am sure does everyone here, but what are your thoughts on lenticulars vs sheet filters ? Capital costs, revenue (i.e. sheet / cartridge replacement costs / frequency), flexibility, regeneration / sanitisation procedures and complexity, oxygen pickup (potential) - basically the whole shooting match.

Thanks very much
          dick

Comment

Working...
          X