Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batch I thought was done, started up again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batch I thought was done, started up again.

So at the end of November I brewed a batch (1 BBL) of our Red, after 2 weeks it stopped at 1.015 and I thought it was done after 3-5 days of inactivity or gravity drop. Just before Christmas it started up again, slowly dropping gravity points and bubbling out CO2. I immediately thought, great I have an infection of some sort. But taste and aroma tests have shown me none. At the end of last week, it stopped again, and with 3 days of no gravity change we are at 1.009, and still no off flavors or aromas. It does feel a little thin in mouth feel, but other then that, I don't detect anything off.

My question is do I roll it out, dump it, use it for taps or personal use only? My initial gut reaction was to not release to market.
    Jason Blair
    MadCow Brewing Company

If it isn't identical in every aspect to your usual Red, I would certainly not sell it as such.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Special Release.
      Blend with another brew.
      Barrel age it with some funky yeast.
      Add fruit.

Options are endless, no need to dump if it's tasting fine.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
        If it isn't identical in every aspect to your usual Red, I would certainly not sell it as such.
        If it tastes ok, I'd keg n tap it. Name it something different and hope no one requests it again..
        Bottle some samples for later analysis, and keep an eye on it if it lasts long enough to start changing in the keg.

also keep in note, I'm not pro, homebrewer in planning.

Comment

What was your starting Grav and what yeast are you using? See if the attenuation is on point with what the yeast attenuation can reach. Buy some fast orange tess from more beer so you know for sure it is clean, they are cheap. Cheers.
          Joel Halbleib
          Partner / Zymurgist
          Hive and Barrel Meadery
          6302 Old La Grange Rd
          Crestwood, KY
          www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou View Post
            What was your starting Grav and what yeast are you using? See if the attenuation is on point with what the yeast attenuation can reach. Buy some fast orange tess from more beer so you know for sure it is clean, they are cheap. Cheers.
            I am not sure what the fast orange tess is. Gravity was 1.060 so my attenuation was 85%, a touch high for US-05 (81%). But not so far out that would cause a concern. I am thinking of going the tap it and call it something different. I would like the Red to stay consistent even though we are small batch. Thanks everyone.
            Jason Blair
            MadCow Brewing Company

Comment

Working...
            X