Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewery name search

Hi All,

Looking for some input on Brewery name searches. I've done a google search, and a Brewer's Assoc. search. I suspect I need to do a more comprehensive search. Suggestions?

The only search that you need to do is USPTO search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. On the USPTO website I did a TESS search and found no matches, which I thought was good, until I searched a few brewery names I know to exist, and found no matches there either. I then searched bigger brewery names and sure enough, matches. Does this mean that the smaller, less famous breweries haven't applied for a trademark?

Comment

Databases to search

Originally posted by Thirsty_Monk View Post
        The only search that you need to do is USPTO search.
        I am a trademark attorney, and I strongly disagree. If you only look at the USPTO's database, you won't be aware of unregistered third party use of similar marks. I would recommend at least looking at:
        1. TTB's public COLA registry
        2. Beer enthusiast websites (Untappd, Beeradvocate, Ratebeer)
        3. USPTO's TESS - using expanders, searching classes 32, 33, 43. Beer/wine/spirits/restaurants (and even other goods/services) have been deemed similar enough to beer to create a likelihood of confusion for similar marks.

Also, check Google to see if there have been any trademark disputes over the mark, as well as the TTAB's database for the same reason.

Dan Christopherson, Beer Lawyer
        Christopherson Brew Law
        6638 W. Ottawa Ave, Suite 220-3, Littleton, CO 80128
        720-515-8773 (phone) | dan@brew.law | www.brew.law
        Last edited by Brew Law; 12-02-2018, 11:01 AM.
        Dan Christopherson
        Christopherson Brew Law
        Littleton, CO 80128
        (720) 515-8773
        dan@brew.law
        brew.law

Comment

Working...
        X