US-05 Esters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US-05 Esters

I've worked at multiple breweries that have used Fermentis US-05. My experience, over the years, is it is a nice clean, neutral yeast when fermented between 18-20C. Lately, I have noticed excess esters that were not present in the past. Other local brewers are noticing the same. Any one here have such issues with this yeast?

My BSG rep visited yesterday and mentioned that there'd been a recent lot of US05 that had elicited a lot of complaints of esters/phenols/Belgiany flavor.
    We went through the packages I have in house and checked to make sure none of them were from that lot.
    Probably not much you can do about the beer that's already been made, other than obviously not reusing the yeast, but you might want to contact them with the lot number of any packages you have in house. I believe they'll replace them if you have any from that lot.

Comment

Personally, I have never been a huge fan of Fermentis strains in general. They have always done the job, but never offered me anything more than other options.

If you want to try another similar dry yeast, I would suggest the BRY-97 from Lallemand. It is a west coast ale yeast, and I have been really happy with the clean profile on the low temp side, flocculation, and attenuation. It has beat out WLP001 for my choice of primary strain.

Comment

Working...
      X