No announcement yet.

Tankless Water Heater or HLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A HLT is worth the money and space. Even if you brew once a week, a well-insulated HLT should still be at around 130 F, and you will save money both in the energy savings of heating 130F water versus 70 F tap water, plus you will be saving money on your water bill itself. Why let energy and water go down the drain when all you need is a tank to hold it? You could put a tankless hot water heater inline from the HLT to heat the water up to strike or sparge temperature.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Originally posted by JR2018 View Post
      I'm looking at starting up a small brewery and I have seen a local brewery utilize a Tankless Water Heater instead of a Hot Liquor Tank for sparging Mash and for cleaning operations. It is a Honeywell unit and they claim it works well for them. Anybody heard of this or have experience in this type of setup? Looking for pros/cons of this approach...

Thanks,

Jeff Reid

Hi Jeff,

I've used both with and without tankless water heater. A few of the things that you want to consider that may make you want both. I've used smaller HLTs with an tankless heater to fill or top off when needed.

Most tankless heaters have low gpm rates as the temp rises. This may affect your mash in times. Tankless heaters are not high pressure enough for CIP rinses.
      Typically when using the tankless heater you can't use hot water in rest of building. Sometimes if bathrooms are connected this will cause tankless heater to error if being pulled for multiple demands.
      Most have 5 degree incremental settings. It would be best to have a cold and hot mixing station for strike.
      Without an HLT you will end up wasting the water used to chill wort during knockout. Resulting in being charged twice for incoming water and having it go straight down the drain.

I like the use of both. If I was forced to choose one I would choose and HLT.

Hope this helps. Give me a call or email if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Mike Paladino
      Brewery Design Consultant
      Stout Tanks and Kettles, LLC
      16300 SW 72nd Ave
      Portland, OR 97224
      503-372-9580 (Office)

Comment

Originally posted by JR2018 View Post
        I'm looking at starting up a small brewery and I have seen a local brewery utilize a Tankless Water Heater instead of a Hot Liquor Tank for sparging Mash and for cleaning operations. It is a Honeywell unit and they claim it works well for them. Anybody heard of this or have experience in this type of setup? Looking for pros/cons of this approach...

Thanks,

Jeff Reid

Hi Jeff,

I've used both with and without tankless water heater. A few of the things that you want to consider that may make you want both. I've used smaller HLTs with an tankless heater to fill or top off when needed.

Most tankless heaters have low gpm rates as the temp rises. This may affect your mash in times. Tankless heaters are not high pressure enough for CIP rinses.
        Typically when using the tankless heater you can't use hot water in rest of building. Sometimes if bathrooms are connected this will cause tankless heater to error if being pulled for multiple demands.
        Most have 5 degree incremental settings. It would be best to have a cold and hot mixing station for strike.
        Without an HLT you will end up wasting the water used to chill wort during knockout. Resulting in being charged twice for incoming water and having it go straight down the drain.

I like the use of both. If I was forced to choose one I would choose and HLT.

Hope this helps. Give me a call or email if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Mike Paladino
        Brewery Design Consultant
        Stout Tanks and Kettles, LLC
        16300 SW 72nd Ave
        Portland, OR 97224
        503-372-9580 (Office)

Comment

Originally posted by I Like Pints View Post
          Thanks Timm,

Is this solution something I could CIP with? Sound more like you're soaking/recirculating with it...

-Scott
          I only use it for CIP descaling in our hot liquor system. I have no idea if it would have any utility for general brewery CIP. A weak solution works for removing lime scale from the outside of tanks, but it will leave a residue if not rinsed thoroughly. For most brewery CIP, I'd stick to phos acid or a phos/nitric mix. Ask your chemical supplier for recommendations.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Considering converting HLT to Whirlpool and installing Tankless

Hi All, We are planning on converting our HLT to a dedicated whirlpool and installing tankless water heaters to increase back to back batch production. We currently operate a 10HL (8.5BBL) brewhouse. Current brewhouse config; dedicated 25HL HLT with HERMS coil for mash temp adjustments, Combo Mash / Lauter, Combo boil / whirlpool. Has anyone done this or operate this type of configuration? I would like to hear heater specs required, usage notes, etc. BTW we use LPG.

Tim

Comment

Look at the flow rate/delta T charts for the units you're interested in. Our Rinnai C199s--about the biggest they sell--only produce about 2.5 gpm each taking 50F tap water to 185F.

I hope you have soft water.

As a side note: Why get rid of the HLT when you can use it to reclaim your warm knock-out cooling water? This is one of the simplest and most profitable economies in the brewhouse.
              Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
              Terminal Gravity Brewing,
              Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

It all depends on what kind of heating volume you need. For example, for our own needs, we use this heater. For beer I use this heater.

Comment

Working...
                X