Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacteria identification

Hi guys!

We have taken a yeast sample from a tank and incubated it with Dohler NBB-B media. After we saw some color change we took a look through the microsope with a 40x lens.

Can anybody confirm that there is a contamination?
    What type of bacteria whould that be?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180123_094911.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	195480

Hi,

Looks exactly what we see in our sauergut...lactobacillus.

Comment

Originally posted by MatthiasS View Post
      Hi,

Looks exactly what we see in our sauergut...lactobacillus.
      Thanks for the quick response!

This is what came to my mind, but with a closer look it seems that the shape of these cells seems more like cocci, (like grapes). Does that make any sense?

I believe that lactobacilus is more rod shaped

A fellow brewer said that these are proteins.

Comment

A gram stain would help identify if is protein or not. Fairly quick and easy if you have the means.

Comment

Hi, I am talking about the longish worm shaped bacteria. These are probably lactos. Maybe you have some pediococcus in there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
            A gram stain would help identify if is protein or not. Fairly quick and easy if you have the means.
            Brilliant! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MatthiasS View Post
              Hi, I am talking about the longish worm shaped bacteria. These are probably lactos. Maybe you have some pediococcus in there as well.
              These blurry longish shaped bacteria, are similar formed cells with dots, just out of focus.

We'll try the stain method and see.
              I'll keep you updated! Thanks again

Comment

I see pedio but no lacto. the out of focus stuff that looks like bacteria is dust not bacterial rods.
                I hope I encouraged you!

Comment

Hi. Sorry for getting in late on this topic. I only use 40x for cell counts and viability. Typically you would view bacteria under 100x using immersion oil. The catalase test should help in narrowing things down.

Comment

If there are rods and cocci in a cultured color-changed media, you can't really assume you have only lacto, only pedio, or both. Could be lacto with cocci non beer spoilers, pedio with rod non beer spoilers, or both lacto and pedio. I haven't used liquid culture other than NBB-PCR for enrichment, so there may be something I'm missing. As the other poster suggested, a gram stain and/or PCR would be the only way to confirm at this point.

Although from a personal opinion, at 40x those longer things look too large to be rods. Maybe mold?

Comment

Working...
                    X