Thread: Substitute for Galaxy??? possibly a blend?

Substitute for Galaxy??? possibly a blend?

dusting off one of the favorite beers of mine that didnt make the shortened roster we've been on up to now. but now that its time to get it back on the list, we have the issue of not being able to afford the damn hops. Galaxy. ouch. and that's if you can even find them. total bummer.

so wondering if anyone has been in the same boat and been able to come up with a decent substitute? the passion fruit is the part i figure would be hardest to match. C hops for grapefruit rind, lots of varieties give tropical flavors, but wondering if anyone has had success with mimicking galaxy pretty closely?

i'm all ears.

Vic Secret from Australia is one of the closer matches out there. Burlington Beer Co. (for one) makes a fantastic all Vic NE IPA, quite similar to galaxy to my palette.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Galaxy Sub

Agree with the Vic Secret comparison.

Otto Supreme Plus others

I just made a NE IPA using Otto Supreme at shut off and in the whirlpool. I also dry hopped it twice with Mosaic, Azacca, and El Dorado. With just the Otto Supreme it had a nice light tropical smell, but with those dry hops the aroma of passion fruit and guava, and other tropical smells with just a slight citrus note.

Might get you there as well.

Never even heard of otto supreme. Where from? Distributor? Price is reasonable or insane?

Otto Supreme

Yakima Valley Hops

They renamed it to BRU -1

I tried that beer yesterday for the first time since bottling day. Holy pineapple! It was nothing like the aroma's I smelled on the bottling day. The pineapple smell is fairly strong, yet the pineapple taste is not overly there. There is a lot more other tropical fruit flavors making this a very juicy easy drinking beer. I did also use Juice yeast from Imperial. Even though this was just a test; as with all my test beer I plan on tasting a bottle a week for a few weeks, to see how the flavors change or if they change.

As of now I will be making this beer again.

Here is the link.
    http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/Expe...1-2017crop.htm