Temperature sensing in FV and Brites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature sensing in FV and Brites

What are most of you using to sense temperature in your FV and brites (as part of glycol system)? A thermo well with a thermocouple or RTD inside, threaded Tri-Clamp fitting?

Or one of these spiffy jobs where it is built in: https://www.omega.com/subsection/sanitary-sensors.html

--or--

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ary_Connection)

I need to get temperature sensing for my FVs and brites. The spiffy T/C that I linked above look great...before you consider cost...

And another question: thermocouple or RTD?

Thanks in advance

Our fermenters have welded in thermowells with threaded fittings on the exterior. Probes are inserted and secured with the threads. Probes run back to 24V Ranco controllers.

Comment

On FV and brites you should have a thermal-well built into the tank.This is for a RTD to operate from a temp controller with a solenoid. These are almost always threaded as the do not enter the tank interior. RTD's with a TC fitting are usually ised for temp readings in the kettle or mash tun and are in contact with the wort.

Comment

Anything that goes inside the thermowell besides the thermocouple?

Comment

Originally posted by mswebb View Post
          Our fermenters have welded in thermowells with threaded fittings on the exterior. Probes are inserted and secured with the threads. Probes run back to 24V Ranco controllers.
          This. I've also found good prices and products here: http://www.auberins.com/ for various temp and control needs.

mtn

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Scientist View Post
            If the probe isn't getting a good contact with the end of the thermowell you can apply some thermal paste. As the thermowell heats up, the paste heats up and should be in solid contact with the probe. We've done this in our pilot brewhouse to make sure our analogue temperature gauges are in good contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Scientist View Post
              In some instances a thermal conducting past it added in a very small amount to the end of the RTD.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with using the probe in your initial post, but there are some draw backs. You tie up an otherwise usable TC port, and cleaning cycles would require you to remove it so there is no buildup or gross yeast in the ferrule area. I would only do it if there was no threaded port built in, as mentioned above.

The paste is a good idea, and another option is a spring loaded npt fitting that pushes the probe against the end of the thermowell ensuring contact.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
                  There is nothing wrong with using the probe in your initial post, but there are some draw backs. You tie up an otherwise usable TC port, and cleaning cycles would require you to remove it so there is no buildup or gross yeast in the ferrule area. I would only do it if there was no threaded port built in, as mentioned above.

The paste is a good idea, and another option is a spring loaded npt fitting that pushes the probe against the end of the thermowell ensuring contact.
                  Thanks.....I had the same thought about the TC port and I would not tie it up unless the FV or brite had options already. I'll have to look for a spring loaded NPT fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post

With RTDs and Thermocouples the best option is having a spring loaded fitting as described to keep the tip of the probe firmly in contact with the end of the thermowell. At this point the paste isn’t really needed. However if the the end of the probe does not contact the end of the thermowell I would recommend using a small amount of heat sink paste as suggested. Be aware that it is messy, sticky and gets everywhere.

To your other question RTDs are generally capable of higher accuracy and repeatability. Thermocouples usually have a rated accuracy of plus/minus 4-5 degrees F.
                    With both options problems can arise in higher temp applications if the probe is not rated at that temp and the epoxy inside the probe tip melts. Shouldn’t be an issue on a fermenter.

Comment

Originally posted by mswebb View Post

Don’t mean to highjack the thread but mswebb - what do use to adapt the Ranco temp probe to the threaded fittings on your thermowells? I think we are planning the same set-up (using this guy: http://https://www.supplyhouse.com/R...SAAEgIcufD_BwE ) but I’m not sure how to mount that flexible probe wire (like shooting pool with a piece of spaghetti lol!)

Comment

Wasn't able to follow your link. I'll have to take a picture tonight or tomorrow when I'm in next. They are essentially nylon or plastic nuts with a gripper center that tightens as the nut is threaded on. Put the nut on the probe wire, insert wire, tighten nut, you might need to find something thin and stiff to help push the line in but be careful not to cut or kink. Ours came with our fermenters so I don't know where they were originally sourced.

Comment

Ah I think I follow you - some type of compression fitting. Can probably find it at McMaster Carr’s site.

Comment

Working...
                          X