Recycling Mylar Hop Bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recycling Mylar Hop Bags?

We're getting pretty close to being zero waste but one of the biggest struggles we have is trying to divert mylar hop bags from the landfill. Has anyone out there found a solution for this problem? We've found a facility on the east coast that recycles mylar but we're based in Oregon so the emissions and cost to ship east offsets the benefit of recycling. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

There are vacuum sealers that work with mylar bags. I grabbed a cheap one, the vacuum part of it kinda sucks (oops) but it seals the bags nicely. It was about $125. For $300 or less you can probably get a really nice one.
    I used mylar bags to break up larger bulk bags of hops into quantities that I typically use for our batch size. You leave enough room in them to just snip the top off so they can be reused quite a few times before you cut too much off of it.

Comment

Originally posted by wlw33 View Post
      There are vacuum sealers that work with mylar bags. I grabbed a cheap one, the vacuum part of it kinda sucks (oops) but it seals the bags nicely. It was about $125. For $300 or less you can probably get a really nice one.
      I used mylar bags to break up larger bulk bags of hops into quantities that I typically use for our batch size. You leave enough room in them to just snip the top off so they can be reused quite a few times before you cut too much off of it.
      I know that this is an older thread but....
      I've been looking for a way to better seal my partial bags of hops. (better than rolling them as tight as I can and taping the hell out of them.) I've tried my regular Food Saver brand vacuum sealer from home without success. is it just my sealer? what brand are you using?

Also, should I re purge with nitrogen or co2 before vacuum sealing?

Comment

Gamma seal lids work great. Attach to a 5 gal bucket. We purge with CO2 before sealing up. Simple and work great
        Justin Moore
        Head Brewer of Good Times
        Red Lodge Ales Brewing Co.
        Red Lodge, MT 59068

Comment

A little off topic, but if what do you do with your grain bags to divert them from a landfill? Or are you all silo and sacks?

Originally posted by twincitybrewer View Post
          We're getting pretty close to being zero waste but one of the biggest struggles we have is trying to divert mylar hop bags from the landfill. Has anyone out there found a solution for this problem? We've found a facility on the east coast that recycles mylar but we're based in Oregon so the emissions and cost to ship east offsets the benefit of recycling. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Comment

We've found a foodsaver, mylar bags and a hair straightener tends to work wonders on repackaging bags.

We use the little accessory port on the food saver and get the bags air-tight.

We can use the bags about 3 times before we have to toss them, which will help reduce some waste, but not completely eliminate them.

Comment

Working...
            X