Should I clean the spears???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I clean the spears???

I purchased a bunch of 50L kegs from a scrap metal yard. They all came from the same, well know brewery and they were only there for a day before I got them. All of the spears were removed by the previous owner, I'm assuming as a way of decommissioning them, but the spears were still with the kegs. Since the spears are already removed and they've been sitting for a while should I disassemble all the spears, about 50 of them, and clean them before reinstalling and cleaning the kegs or will a normal keg cleaning cycle do the trick?

I don’t know how many a bunch is, but I would play it safe and soak them in a light caustic for a few hours/overnight just for peace of mind. Then I would throw them in a rinse bath, reassemble, and run the regular keg washing cycle. If I saw calcium oxcalate then I would do a strong acid soak first.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
      I don’t know how many a bunch is, but I would play it safe and soak them in a light caustic for a few hours/overnight just for peace of mind. Then I would throw them in a rinse bath, reassemble, and run the regular keg washing cycle. If I saw calcium oxcalate then I would do a strong acid soak first.
      I have about 65 of them.

Comment

Yes, clean the spears. Doesn't matter how many. If you buy something used, you owe it to yourself and your customers to go the extra mile and make sure it's in top quality condition. Cleaning and assessing is the first step.

Comment

Clean them. Don't risk it.

Prost!
          Dave
          Glacier Brewing Company
          406-883-2595
          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Since you have the spears out, now would be a good time to replace all the seals. It'll run you about $6-$8/spear, but you'll be starting fresh, with basically brand-new spears.

Search around here for instructions on rebuilding a spear/keg valve.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

What's your time worth?

I, personally, would not spend the time rebuilding 65 spears. Gopher kegs will sell you new micromatic spears to your custom length for a very reasonable rate.

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
              Since you have the spears out, now would be a good time to replace all the seals. It'll run you about $6-$8/spear, but you'll be starting fresh, with basically brand-new spears.

Search around here for instructions on rebuilding a spear/keg valve.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_FSBC View Post
                I, personally, would not spend the time rebuilding 65 spears. Gopher kegs will sell you new micromatic spears to your custom length for a very reasonable rate.
                New spears would cost over $1,600 plus shipping. New seals are around $500. I'll take the time to rebuild them.

Comment

Working...
                X