Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use Lenticular w/ coarse pads for single pass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use Lenticular w/ coarse pads for single pass?

Is there any reason why I couldn’t use a lenticular filter with say 7micron pads for single pass filtration? Just need to get bulk of the yeast out. Beer is fairly clean after crashing in fv.

Batch size is 7bbl. I want to filter beer without any o2 pickup as one of the beers to be filtered is going into a foeder for secondary Brett/lacto/pedio fermentation. This is going to be a solera so I want to minimize the amount of sach building up in the foeder year after year.

You could do it, but I'm not sure you would get the results you are looking for. If I recall correctly (which doesn't always happen), the average size of a Saccharomyces Cerevisiae is going to be a 4-6 micron size with haploids being on the smaller end and diploids typically towards the higher end. Your yeast will probably pass through the filter without getting trapped. A 5 micron filter might give you better results, but a 3-4 micron should remove most all the yeast.

Your lenticular should give you good protection against oxygen pick up regardless, so I would opt for a finer filtration personally.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
      You could do it, but I'm not sure you would get the results you are looking for. If I recall correctly (which doesn't always happen), the average size of a Saccharomyces Cerevisiae is going to be a 4-6 micron size with haploids being on the smaller end and diploids typically towards the higher end. Your yeast will probably pass through the filter without getting trapped. A 5 micron filter might give you better results, but a 3-4 micron should remove most all the yeast.

Your lenticular should give you good protection against oxygen pick up regardless, so I would opt for a finer filtration personally.
      So you don’t think the filter will choke using 5micron? Also,
      What size filter would you recommend?

Comment

Obviously it is a trade off. The tighter the filtration, the faster your differential pressure will rise. But the cleaner your beer will be. Depending on the load, you may or may not be able to get good through put. Sizing would depend on the HL/BBL per hour your looking to see, total volume, type of filtration media, and the micron you go with. Also the amount of suspended solids will play the most significant role.

At 7 BBL I would try the 5 micron. Worst case you may need to backflush, but 7bbl isn’t a whole lot of volume and you can probably afford the time. You also mention input beer being fairly clear, so your suspended solids shouldn’t be too bad. Let us know what you try.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
          Obviously it is a trade off. The tighter the filtration, the faster your differential pressure will rise. But the cleaner your beer will be. Depending on the load, you may or may not be able to get good through put. Sizing would depend on the HL/BBL per hour your looking to see, total volume, type of filtration media, and the micron you go with. Also the amount of suspended solids will play the most significant role.

At 7 BBL I would try the 5 micron. Worst case you may need to backflush, but 7bbl isn’t a whole lot of volume and you can probably afford the time. You also mention input beer being fairly clear, so your suspended solids shouldn’t be too bad. Let us know what you try.

Thanks. I don’t know much about these filters. If I wanted to keep the transfer under an hour, and my beer is fairly clear to begin with, should I go with a 12” or 16”? Also, how many cartridges would be adequate? 2?

Comment

Originally posted by d_striker View Post
            Thanks. I don’t know much about these filters. If I wanted to keep the transfer under an hour, and my beer is fairly clear to begin with, should I go with a 12” or 16”? Also, how many cartridges would be adequate? 2?
            Each manufacturer should be able to give you a suggestion based on the volumes and times you mention, however the larger and more cartridges you use, the faster/easier your filtration will be. The downside is the cost of filter media. If you get the type of cartridges that are able to be back flushed, then you can reuse them a number of times reducing the cost overall. I would suggest going with the largest filter housing and most modules you can reasonably afford. You may get double sized fermenters down the road, and you don't want to be bottle-necked by the filter. You may also want to use the filter for lager or other beers styles you may brew down the road.

There is some good people at Filtrox and Pall who can probably give you a bit more technical for your size application, but I've never seen anyone regret getting a larger size. The cost difference is usually off set by time and labor savings.

Comment

Working...
            X