Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I get breweres interested in fresh, wet hops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I get breweres interested in fresh, wet hops?

I am in the process of starting a commercial hydroponic hop operation and have run in to an issue I didnt quite expect. A good deal of the brewers I have talked to have said that they do not want to use the full flower hops as it will gunk up their system as they move it to the heat exchange. Whether hot additions or dry hopping, my suggestion has always been to simply add in a nylon mesh bag. I see this as a completely viable and easy solution yet they seem uninterested. What am i missing here? I cannot start a commercial production planning to sell only fresh picked hops if none of the brewers are interested.... what to do?

Whole Hops.

Those brewers are morons.
    We put them in the mash and
    In mesh bags in the kettle.
    Don't have a hopback. I'll buy your
    Hops.6
    Last edited by nohandslance; 02-02-2018, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Agreed

I don't know if you have run by me, but I am in your area. I know for me I like use of pellets but have used fresh hops at harvest time. As he said, bagged in kettle and mash tun for hop back. We haven't quite had the right timing/planning when fresh hops come around.

Comment

I am curious how you are growing hydroponic hops? How do you give them a winter dormant cycle, and how tall are you growing them?

Comment

Originally posted by nohandslance View Post
          Hops.6
          err...not really. Pelletized hops are much easier to work with. Putting them in bags also drastically decreases utilization rates...meaning higher cost per batch. But yeah they're all morons...

Comment

Originally posted by Che' View Post
            I am curious how you are growing hydroponic hops? How do you give them a winter dormant cycle, and how tall are you growing them?
            Yes they get a dormant cycle although current research is finding that they don't even need much of one. Growing hydroponically it is capable of doing the veg/flower state in 12 weeks with much more potent hops as nutrients are more effectively delivered. I am using a lower and lean method of trellising similar to growing tomatoes. My ceiling height is 14'.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinL View Post
              I don't know if you have run by me, but I am in your area. I know for me I like use of pellets but have used fresh hops at harvest time. As he said, bagged in kettle and mash tun for hop back. We haven't quite had the right timing/planning when fresh hops come around.
              Justin I will stop by for a beer in the next week time permitting. Thanks for your interest.

Comment

Originally posted by nohandslance View Post
                Hops.6
                This is reaffirming to hear that some brewers get it. I'd be happy to send some hops out your way to test out or packaging and shipping once production is underway.

Comment

Whole Hops

Rebel Malting/Oceanside Ale Works.
                  Email me @ lancejergensen@gmail.com, 775.997.6411. Lets keep in touch. What varieties.?

We have a great local hop grower and their hops are fun to work with.

Lance

Comment

Hell, count me in if shipping aint too bad. Im about as far away as possible in lower 48

Comment

Hey AlexR, thanks for creating the thread, our farm is doing something similar down here in Florida. How has your hops grow been going?

Comment

Its a smaller market but it is out there. I like whole cone directly in the BBT. Also good for late kettle addition, as said above, using a straining bag.
                        You just need to get the word out there. Grow them and they will come...
                        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                        "Your results may vary"

Comment

That's an awesome business idea if you can get them to grow, but I wouldn't be interested if I was in your area.

The only times I've done wet-hopped beers, they were free or $1/lb. It's just too much mass, and it always give off a grassy, vegetal flavor that I'm not super fond off. I've had growers ask for full pelletized price for wet hops, which I thought was a little absurd.

Pellets are just so much easier, with less waste and trouble.

IMO you could be on to something great if you did it right and processed them on site. It would make a more consistent product without row-to-row and crop year variation.

Good luck either way, always cool to see someone trying something new!

Comment

Fresh hops are a PITA for most brewers, require special care and lots of planning. Do you know what the shelf life of a fresh picked hop is? It's fun to use them once a year and it's what makes those beers special. Are you a brewer? Simply adding a mesh bag does not solve everything. It takes more pounds of wet hops which equals to more loss. Mesh bags mean that not all the hops get great contact with liquid which means even more pounds. Sell them to nohands I guess since the rest of us are morons. I think what you might be missing is a knowledge of the industry and the needs of the brewers. What to do? I guess if no one is interested you maybe go back to the drawing board or if you're into hydroponics, then maybe grow some cannibis. It's a much more lucrative business.

Comment

Working...
                            X