Spontaneous Fermentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spontaneous Fermentation

Hey guys had a question about our first run at "spontaneous" fermentation. Unfortunately I don't have a coolship right now but I was thinking about using our 4bbl kettle as a our inoculation tank. I remember hearing that for a 4bbl batch, a coolship is almost unnecessary as the wort cools a little too fast for some bacteria. So I was thinking of brewing our beer, leaving it in the kettle and just pulling cold air from outside with a fan back through our steam stack and then sending it to barrels inoculated with our local yeast and bacteria propagated up from our little orchard. As long as theres nothing obviously wrong with this idea I had a question.. We're in Ohio and have had a string of warm days, warming up to the mid 40's and even 50's now. The lows the next 2 days are in the 20's and high's in the 30's but after that it looks like were on a warming trend until spring. Are we getting too warm for this or is it a small enough batch to just let her rip and see what happens? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Originally posted by 10pence View Post
    Hey guys had a question about our first run at "spontaneous" fermentation. Unfortunately I don't have a coolship right now but I was thinking about using our 4bbl kettle as a our inoculation tank. I remember hearing that for a 4bbl batch, a coolship is almost unnecessary as the wort cools a little too fast for some bacteria. So I was thinking of brewing our beer, leaving it in the kettle and just pulling cold air from outside with a fan back through our steam stack and then sending it to barrels inoculated with our local yeast and bacteria propagated up from our little orchard. As long as theres nothing obviously wrong with this idea I had a question.. We're in Ohio and have had a string of warm days, warming up to the mid 40's and even 50's now. The lows the next 2 days are in the 20's and high's in the 30's but after that it looks like were on a warming trend until spring. Are we getting too warm for this or is it a small enough batch to just let her rip and see what happens? Any thoughts? Thanks!
    We talked about doing the same. Did you try it?

Comment

Working...
    X