Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German style Kellerbier

Hey Gang-

I'm really wanting to do a Kellerbier. I'm lucky enough to have a fermenter dedicated to lager beers but I'm going to want to do a quick turn from time to time.

I realize it's simple but any advice on cellar procedures for this style would be greatly appreciated. Little or no head pressure? Easier to keg off and dispense by gravity? (I guess I'll need those German style gravity kegs).

Any thoughts???

Tash

I've always enjoyed a good Keller Pilsner and used to cask up a few when I was Pub brewing.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Great style choice! LOVE keller beer, especially out of a cask. What I would do for a Keller beer right now!

Comment

Kellerbier has, by definition, no head pressure, BUT it is kept at around 0 degrees C or even below . Therefore, there's still quite a bit of CO2 in it. Kellerbier requires that you do your cellar work more akin to German methods and that you have the lager capacity to store it until it's ready. Many serve this beer too young, because they think "Well, it's 'naturtrub' anyway" and therefore don't give the yeast a chance to get rid of the "young beer" flavor. Given the right amount of aging, there should only be a little "dust yeast" left in suspension along with the protein haze. My favorite thing about Kellerbier (Pils or Helles) is that the hop flavor seems more well-rounded and satisfying.

Comment

Working...
        X