• Show
Clear All

• Brite Tanks or kegs for micro cidery?

Click image for larger version

Name:	3D53EAD0-3C76-4AB0-8C7C-A3BA4CD0DC5C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	195547

We are starting an Orchard/Cidery in this coming year. I am trying to decide if I should skip kegging entirely and only use Brite Tanks. Cost is large on the Brite Tanks compared to kegs, as we are doing 4 1bbl batches and would need 4 1bbl brites. Is it worth it to not have the hassle of kegging? We won’t be doing any outside distribution. It seems that other small breweries or cideries use only kegs, but I’m not sure if the only reason is cost.

I will be doing cold storage and force carbonated on most batches. Some will be naturally carbonated and serves room temperature.

Not much difference...

A keg is essentially a 1/2bbl BBT. So why even bother with a 1bbl BBT? Kegs are cheaper, portable, and have cleaning machines designed specifically for them.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
      A keg is essentially a 1/2bbl BBT. So why even bother with a 1bbl BBT? Kegs are cheaper, portable, and have cleaning machines designed specifically for them.
      How can we carbonate in the kegs quickly and on a budget? Inline carbonation?

Comment

I would recommend at least one 1Bbl brite tank which you use as your packaging tank. Transfer cider in (filtered or not). Adjust carbonation using suitable brite tank methods. Allow for continued sedimentation. Then keg it out for serving. Gets your fermenter free for it's intended purpose and allows you to fine tune the cider before moving to serving vessel (kegs). Can also be used as a blending tank if you feel you need to combine cider from multiple batches.

Comment

Thank you, that does make sense. I will be doing some back sweetening so the Brite would be a good time to do so. I will not be pasturizing or adding sorbate so everything will be kept in the walk in cooler at 34 degrees F for storage and serving.

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
            I would disagree with the first part, in that kegs do not offer the ability for a carbonation stone (for faster carbonation) and pressure relief would have to be on the tap, however I completely agree with the second part in why bother? You are better off (at your size, in my opinion) producing extra volume and storing kegs on a carbonation manifold in a cold room for as long as needed to properly carbonate. You can have them reach a set equilibrium for the temperature, and simply swap it out with the next keg. You gain flexibility and might save a little cost over BBT's. Cleaning is somewhat of a toss up depending on your BBT's. If they offer a CIP spray ball, then easy enough, and just as good as a keg in that regard, but to get a keg washer is not cheap either. You'll probably negate any keg cost savings with a cleaning machine, however you still gain the flexibility. You can also consider having your keg cleaning contracted to a larger outfit near you that has a dedicated automatic keg washer (my suggestion for the size).

Adding back sweetening can be done with kegs just as easily as BBT's. Pull a sample from the FV, add sweetener to desired levels, calculate, add to each keg, fill kegs. Done this with fruit puree, coffee, ect many times and works well. I think you will face issues with no metabisulfites or pasteurization if anything is to last more than one to two weeks. Even at 34*F. Depends on the yeast strains present and if there is any bacteria, but if you are not at least pasteurizing the juice prior to fermentation, you will most certainly have yeast strains or bacteria that will continue to consume the back sweetened sugar resulting in over carbonation and possibly off flavors.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
              I would disagree with the first part, in that kegs do not offer the ability for a carbonation stone (for faster carbonation) and pressure relief would have to be on the tap, however I completely agree with the second part in why bother? You are better off (at your size, in my opinion) producing extra volume and storing kegs on a carbonation manifold in a cold room for as long as needed to properly carbonate. You can have them reach a set equilibrium for the temperature, and simply swap it out with the next keg. You gain flexibility and might save a little cost over BBT's. Cleaning is somewhat of a toss up depending on your BBT's. If they offer a CIP spray ball, then easy enough, and just as good as a keg in that regard, but to get a keg washer is not cheap either. You'll probably negate any keg cost savings with a cleaning machine, however you still gain the flexibility. You can also consider having your keg cleaning contracted to a larger outfit near you that has a dedicated automatic keg washer (my suggestion for the size).

Adding back sweetening can be done with kegs just as easily as BBT's. Pull a sample from the FV, add sweetener to desired levels, calculate, add to each keg, fill kegs. Done this with fruit puree, coffee, ect many times and works well. I think you will face issues with no metabisulfites or pasteurization if anything is to last more than one to two weeks. Even at 34*F. Depends on the yeast strains present and if there is any bacteria, but if you are not at least pasteurizing the juice prior to fermentation, you will most certainly have yeast strains or bacteria that will continue to consume the back sweetened sugar resulting in over carbonation and possibly off flavors.
              I do ad metabisulfate before fermenting and during racking and always check PH to add the correct amount. I have never had a cider ferment at those temperatures using this process. Sorbate leaves a bad taste behind IMO and some people claim to be allergic to it, true or not. Anything I bottle goes dry and still, but I don’t plan to bottle much besides some specialty stuff.

I think I might do a combo of one Brite tank and 6 - 1/2barrel kegs. The Brite can act as a filling vessel and my cold crash tank for super clearing the cider (which is extremely easy with fresh pressed cider anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by AmbrosiaOrchard View Post
                I do ad metabisulfate before fermenting and during racking and always check PH to add the correct amount. I have never had a cider ferment at those temperatures using this process. Sorbate leaves a bad taste behind IMO and some people claim to be allergic to it, true or not. Anything I bottle goes dry and still, but I don’t plan to bottle much besides some specialty stuff.

I think I might do a combo of one Brite tank and 6 - 1/2barrel kegs. The Brite can act as a filling vessel and my cold crash tank for super clearing the cider (which is extremely easy with fresh pressed cider anyway)
                With the metabisulfite you add, you will probably avoid most chances for a continued fermentation. The bright tank is nice for any blending as mswebb suggests. With the combo method you can carb and clarify quickly (with a carb stone), and get into kegs for storage or serving. This is probably the best option overall, although probably a bit more expensive.

Comment

Well today I purchased two kegco bright kegs. I think it will be a good middle ground for me at our current status. I can keep them both in standard kegerator stock carbonating. For anyone interested, beverage factory has all of their products 20% off including commercial sanke kegs!

Comment

Working...
                  X