Butterfly valve for Condensate Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly valve for Condensate Stack

We are moving into a new facility and a few of the neighbors have raised concerns about the smell. While I assure them it smells incredible outside when we brew some of them are not so convinced. So we are looking at possibly adding a Condensate Stack and I was checking to see if anyone had a line on 8 inch butterfly valves to attach to the stack at the top of the tank so that we might close it off to the outside environment to kettle sour. Thought this was a good route rather that closing off at the bottom drain to the stack as i assume there will be some funk eventually in the lower portion.

Thanks

Chris

More concerning than brewing smells will be your spent grain, IMHO. Keep the locals happy as much as possible. Had a complainer at one brewpub (70 year old woman) who would call the police about once a week over noise complaints. Once when we weren't even open for the day! Her son would come over for beers all the time though.

As far as your 8" butterfly, that is going to be very pricey. And unnecessary in my opinion. If you consider what Pasteur did in his swan neck experiment, you will essentially have a large stainless swan neck. If you valve the end of the kettle condensate stack even better. Your condensate stack will likely see some splash down during CIP process (mine did), and should be clean of bacteria. Remember that it is designed to run pressurized steam through it also, and as long as you don't boil over you wont have anything for bacteria to live off of in the stack. Just blanket with co2 appropriately and you should be just fine. Spend that money for an 8" butterfly on something else, like a good bench top pH meter and titration kit, just my $0.02!

Comment

Thanks

The farmer we use us good about picking up quickly. They're an organic farm so his father is in and out of town almost everyday picking up donated feed. In addition we have a large enclosure for our dumpster that we will have extra room about 450 feet away where we were going to hold grain if its not going to be picked up same day/next day.

Chris

Comment

That should take care of anything super smelly. But smell is quite subjective and people may complain anyhow. I used to brew in an office park and one of the secretaries next door would complain about the boiling wort smell. We had a condensate stack as well. Of course I never complained when I had to smell her afternoon popcorn snack that reeked of diacetyl! Some of us are more accepting than others.

Comment

Working...
        X