Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying New Brewers Hoses / Where to purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying New Brewers Hoses / Where to purchase?

I will soon be in the market for new brewers hoses.

Any suggestions? I have begun my research but would love some feedback on any of the more affordable brewers/vintners hoses out there.

Thanks in advance!

The best advice I can give is to find a local supplier. Shipping hoses will more than make up for any reasonable savings. Any unreasonable savings will probably not be what you need.

Be sure to get swaged hose ends. Banded hose barbs are a great way to contaminate a lot of beer.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

It depends what affordable means to you. I have found good hoses here: https://www.andersonprocess.com/products/hose-fittings/

Comment

Comment

I just got a bunch of nice hoses made up by Vintner Vault, they did a great job, Very Nice Quality and Workmanship, both inside and outside. GREAT Price Too. http://www.thevintnervault.com/

I Very Much Agree, " Be sure to get swaged hose ends " That's the only way to go, much much cleaner and safer, but make sure you check inside the ends, to see if it done properly, there should be no buckling in the hose to TC contact.

The last set of hoses I had made, from another vendor, I had to return, all of them, because of Problems With the TC fitting inside and the hose snd buckling, in every one I had made, Inspect what you Expect !!

Gregg

Comment

Hose

At CPE Systems we have a couple of hose options you might be interested in. We have ContiTech Vintners hose and EPDM brewers hose. They both come either with or without Tri-Clamp ends.
            Feel free to check them out on our website, or give us a shout. We would be happy to help you!
            1-800-668-2268
            Last edited by CPESystems; 03-06-2018, 10:18 AM.
            Your CPE Systems Team!
            CPE Systems Inc.
            800-668-2268
            CPEsystems.com
            Thinkpumps.com
            sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

Tundertechnica Glidetech

Five Star Chemicals carries these. They have been great for us and if you are getting chemicals from them, you might get a deal on shipping.

Comment

It depends on the size of brewery that you are at and how many hoses you are talking about. I have found that ordering bulk rolls of hose and installing my own hose barbs with a band-it tool to be much more cost effective. Sanitary crimped fittings are nice, but when the hose wears out, which it will, the fittings are non re-useable. So you pay more, and can't re-use it. You do the math.

Standard CIP practices have prevented our hoses from causing problems with infection. We aren't dealing with many sour/brett beers though. If you are, then the crimped sanitary fittings could be a good option, but those hoses should probably be used only for sour beers anyway.

I usually order bulk rolls and barbs from 5-Star. I prefer Goodyear Plicord hoses over the Glidetech. I have gotten much better durability from the Goodyears.

Comment

There are plenty of good providers out there, but I am very happy with the hoses I got from CPE systems. They were already our trusted provider for pumps, so when I was upgrading from the old hoses that I built myself with hose barbs and hose clamps, I bought a bunch of 10' and 5' crimped hoses from them, working great so far.

Good luck.

Comment

Great info so far everyone. Thank you Thirsty Monk, as the hoses you mentioned are located right in Wisconsin.

Anyone else out there have experience with Anderson Hoses? https://www.andersonprocess.com/products/hose-fittings/

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyrb1 View Post
                      It depends on the size of brewery that you are at and how many hoses you are talking about. I have found that ordering bulk rolls of hose and installing my own hose barbs with a band-it tool to be much more cost effective. Sanitary crimped fittings are nice, but when the hose wears out, which it will, the fittings are non re-useable. So you pay more, and can't re-use it. You do the math.

Standard CIP practices have prevented our hoses from causing problems with infection. We aren't dealing with many sour/brett beers though. If you are, then the crimped sanitary fittings could be a good option, but those hoses should probably be used only for sour beers anyway.

I usually order bulk rolls and barbs from 5-Star. I prefer Goodyear Plicord hoses over the Glidetech. I have gotten much better durability from the Goodyears.
                      We made up our own hoses for many years using barbs and Band-Its. We'd cut the hose ends off every year and re-band. When doing this, I would often be almost gagged by the smell from the end inside the Band-Its. Stuff gets in there and grows, as it's nearly impossible to get the end of the barb perfectly sealed.

We finally had an entire-house infection, resulting in having to dump hundreds of barrels of spoiled beer. This isn't easy. One of our brewers got impatient and just opened the valve on the bottom of a 55 bbl FV. We quickly heard from the city, as we had blown a couple of manhole covers off and were flooding the streets with foam! The sewage treatment plant wasn't happy, either. We ended up filling a tank truck and spraying it on a hayfield, which took forever as most of the beer was carbonated. The brewery was down for over a week while we cleaned and sanitized everything.

After chasing the source of infection down, it was obviously the hoses. We discarded all our home made hoses and started using hydraulically-crimped hose ends. The problem has not recurred. We now inspect the hoses frequently using a cheap endoscope that connects to a phone. We don't expect to get more than 3-5 years from a hose. We're also adding to our hard-pipe to eliminate hoses where ever we can.

Is this expensive? Of course it is. But compared to the cost of dumping the entire fermenter hall, it's a trivial cost.

The best hose ends we've used are internally-expanded crimps.
                      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

[QUOTE=TGTimm;230319]We made up our own hoses for many years using barbs and Band-Its. We'd cut the hose ends off every year and re-band. When doing this, I would often be almost gagged by the smell from the end inside the Band-Its. Stuff gets in there and grows, as it's nearly impossible to get the end of the barb perfectly sealed.

We finally had an entire-house infection, resulting in having to dump hundreds of barrels of spoiled beer. This isn't easy. One of our brewers got impatient and just opened the valve on the bottom of a 55 bbl FV. We quickly heard from the city, as we had blown a couple of manhole covers off and were flooding the streets with foam! The sewage treatment plant wasn't happy, either. We ended up filling a tank truck and spraying it on a hayfield, which took forever as most of the beer was carbonated. The brewery was down for over a week while we cleaned and sanitized everything.

After chasing the source of infection down, it was obviously the hoses. We discarded all our home made hoses and started using hydraulically-crimped hose ends. The problem has not recurred. We now inspect the hoses frequently using a cheap endoscope that connects to a phone. We don't expect to get more than 3-5 years from a hose. We're also adding to our hard-pipe to eliminate hoses where ever we can.

Is this expensive? Of course it is. But compared to the cost of dumping the entire fermenter hall, it's a trivial cost.

The best hose ends we've used are internally-expanded crimps.[/QUOTE

Thank you for sharing your story! That sounds like a huge pain in the bum. But I just imagine myself walking down the street when a sewer cap pops and beer foam starts shooting out with a nice funky aroma.
                        Thanks!
                        The Anderson Hose rep came out to my brewery location and he is going to give me a quote. Great guy, super friendly.

Comment

We are close to opening in the near future and were curious what ended up working for you on the hoses? So far we have been looking at GW Kent and CPE Systems.

Comment

Working...
                          X