Trying to coax "Creamy" from lager yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to coax "Creamy" from lager yeast

so ive been on somewhat of an goose chase, trying to nail down some lager yeasts with "creamy" character as i think it would work well with a style we've invented. there are a few that have that description, but i never seemed to get any sort of creaminess from them. even tracked down some old yeasts from europe and had no luck.

so i'm wondering two things-

1- is this even a real thing? creamy and lager seems a bit oxymoronic, counterintuitive, etc. but having seen this description on a few different strains i have to assume its possible.

2- if this is a real thing, and we assume that the strains described as having creamy characteristics do in fact have them, how would i go about trying to coax the creaminess from them? pitch rate, temp schedule, pressurized ferment, etc..

im not referring to things like chlorides, sodium, oats, flaked grains, etc. we have a handle on that part, but curious to know how one would go about getting "creamy" from a lager yeast.

thanks

I think you're problem is that creamy isn't usually a good descriptor.

A thick mouthfeel? Tastes like cream? Low carbonation? Uses lactose? Nitrogenated?

Maybe if you had a better grasp on what "creamy" means you'd have better luck. What beers have you had that you'd say possess this creamy quality?

Comment

zero.

and it isnt my descriptor. its used in a few summaries for yeast strains. "lager ABC gives blah blah blah and can lend a creamy character to finished beer"

its not common, but its there. in a few places, white labs, wyeast, brewtek, etc.

Comment

Sulfur compounds

I think a lot of what you describe pertains to sulfur compounds. The delicious, fresh lagers of Czech Republic seem to have this "creamy" quality. Might be combination of malt types and the management of yeast/fermentation to accent some of the less offensive sulfur compounds.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

It's all about the Malt

If you are using North American malt you will not get that desired "mouth feel", Optic barley is a good choice and its offspring.
          KWS Irena, Sebastian.
          And make sure you are keeping your sparge water conditioned. And Do not over hop.

Lance
          Rebel Malting Co.
          Reno, Nevada USA

Comment

I got turned on to the yeast in question by an old school brewer from back in the day. I doubt they were using heritage malts from europe. Is there something specific in the malt being referred to thats thought to contribute?

My initial question referred more to yeast handling vs recipe. Maybe some way to maximize glycerol production? Hopefully its not sulfur related- always preferred cleaner northern yeasts vs southern types with sulfur notes.

Comment

Working...
            X