Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow lauter with 2 row?

Hey all,

We have been having some issues with our lauter time, specifically with beers that consist of primarily 2 row from our silos. We typically have faster times with beers that consist of a higher percentage of specialty malt. Which was not necessarily the case in the past. We get our 2 row from Canada Malting.

Is it crazy to think that the winter is having an impact on this? It seems like our times change, depending on whether there is a snowstorm or not. I haven't adjusted our mill settings, but there has been some debate about them with some brewers that worked here in the past vs. ones who have worked here more recently.

Any thoughts or pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Iain

Mill settings is normally the first place to look, but if it seems to be associated with weather, then insulation of the various bits of kit and thermometer / temperature probe calibration is the next step. Mash temperature exactly where you want it? Sparge temperature?

If the grain is cold, perhaps it is shattering rather than milling properly so you are getting finer husk. I've no experience of that - it doesn't get that cold in the UK - but I would check all the temperature stuff and then open out the rollers.
    dick

Comment

I am a plus one on mill setting. I have had the kernel size on my malt change before and did not notice until my efficiency dropped significantly. Check your last malt analysis and the current one as well. Sometimes the friability may change. My experience is that you don't need as fine of a crush as the books say to still get good efficiency. I still start there and back off it there is issues with lautering.

The cold could indeed be causing more of a shattering effect, or destroying your husks more. My guess would be that there is less moisture in the cold air and causes drying out of the husk which then breaks up easier. Used cold malt many times, but never from a silo (which presumably would have much longer to dry out).

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks, folks. I'll check my mill settings and go from there. I'm also wondering if it has something to do with being the last of the grain in the silo.

Comment

Working...
        X