Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel aged Saison

Hi,

I have a few very tasty barrel aged Brett beers and I just started with a few (fruit) saisons. Now that I have a few empty barrels I was thinking of aging a saison in these barrels (230 liter, french oak, Bordeaux, used for just 1 season).
    Is there somebody who has experience aging French saisons on oak, what does it do with the flavors.
    The French saison is pretty tart/sour, I can imagine I get a more mellowed out version with oak and wine character.

Any input is welcome.
    Cheers,
    Wilbert

BA Saison

Hey Wilbert

We're just finishing up a French Saison which has been aging in Gin barrels for the last 8 months. Went in at 7%, a little stronger than our usual French Saison. Fermented it out with Wyeast French Saison strain - 3711 in stainless before racking to the barrels. It fermented out really dry pre barrels as is usual for 3711. Started picking up a ton of botanicals from the gin straight away and has now mellowed into a really dry, fruity, aromatic saison with a ton of peach and other subtle fruits and oak on the nose and palate. They were fresh barrels, dumped that week (as per unwritten policy here).

Hope that helps!

Comment

Thanks STL.
      That sounds really tasty. In the meantime I went for it, but I did pitch some Brett in it after all. The saison was brewed with lots of wheat, so I'm confident the Brett has something to do.

Comment

Working...
      X