Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Phase Heating Element + PID + 3 Phase SSR wont work

Hello guys,

I am trying to have my HLT controlled by PID + SSR + 3phase heating element.

I have wired it as on picture bellow however I dont know why but the SSR is not passing the current to the heating element.
    My PID controller is configured to SSR and it sends 12V do the relay but the relay wont close the "bridge", I have two relays and both wont close, I have power on one side but nothing on another side, the led on SSR turn on but no power passing.

I dont know but I think I am missing something, someone can give me a tip please?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JulioGDiana; 03-14-2018, 12:23 PM.

The PID controllers typically have multiple outputs, some relay, some for SSR. If you are hooked into the wrong output, then you wont actually be sending a signal to the SSR. Have you measured a 12 volt signal across the terminals on the SSR? Are you sending the signal and have the polarity backwards? You also have to make sure that your PID controller is properly configured, there are lots of settings that could be effecting how the output is being signaled, and on which pins. Knowing the exact wiring, PID model and SSR model might help give a better answer.

Comment

that does not look like its jumped correctly but its hard for me to tell. look up 3ΓΈ DELTA heating diagram. Thats the way it needs to be wired

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
        The PID controllers typically have multiple outputs, some relay, some for SSR. If you are hooked into the wrong output, then you wont actually be sending a signal to the SSR. Have you measured a 12 volt signal across the terminals on the SSR? Are you sending the signal and have the polarity backwards? You also have to make sure that your PID controller is properly configured, there are lots of settings that could be effecting how the output is being signaled, and on which pins. Knowing the exact wiring, PID model and SSR model might help give a better answer.
        The PID is working, that PID is for SSR output, it sends 12V to SSR, it is wired right, like I said, I have 12V out from PID and going in to SSR, the LED on SSR turns on, the PID model is the one on picture also the SSR and the heating element.

Comment

Originally posted by Beluedog View Post
          that does not look like its jumped correctly but its hard for me to tell. look up 3ΓΈ DELTA heating diagram. Thats the way it needs to be wired
          Yes, I was thinking that too, does it has to be inductive load? I mean, mine is wired in star, does it has to be wired in delta?

I have attached a bigger picture from my heating element with pins colors for the loops, 3 loops, 3 colors.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by JulioGDiana; 03-14-2018, 03:47 PM.

Comment

The picture bellow shows what I think is a heating element wired in delta, could anyone confirm it for me please.

Same colors dot is 1 loop.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JulioGDiana View Post
              The picture bellow shows what I think is a heating element wired in delta, could anyone confirm it for me please.

Same colors dot is 1 loop.
              No, you'd be shorting phase 2 (see the brass jumpers) the OP had the correct wiring unless those elements are very different internally than mine. (The "star" comes together in a point at the jumpers... all three phases meet at a single point... but power needs to pass through the resistive elements first or else you have a dead short instead of a star.) You don't connect any wires at the jumpers, only three wires, one for each phase, onto the non-jumpered terminals.

This is a resistive (i.e. not inductive) load.

Is not too unusual for an SSR to be defective. I'd test the voltage across A2-B2, B2-C2, and C2-A2 while 12v is applied. (While you're at it, check the input terminals too just in case there's an upstream wiring/switching issue.)

Be careful! If you're not well-versed in safety procedures this is dangerous voltage.
              Last edited by Yellowbeard; 03-14-2018, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Problem solved boys, I had a wrong spec SSR, it is for 3 phase 280V and my power here is 3 phase 380V, fitted a correct one now and work like a dream.

Thanks for trying to help.

All the best

Comment

I am glad it works, but by definition SSR = Solid State Relay. Relays don't care what the line voltages are just the type/amount of control voltage.
                  I would guess the first SSR was faulty. IMHO

Comment

Working...
                  X