Maple Sap instead of water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple Sap instead of water

I have secured and about to brew with 10 gallons of Maple sap instead of water. The sap has been through reverse osmosis to make it 10% sugar. My first time doing this, I know I have to check PH, minerals etc....does anyone have experience that they think I SHOULD know. Thanking you in advance.

No real advice, beyond accounting in the rest of your recipe for all the extra simple sugar. That said, I'd be interested to hear back on your experience. I've made a fair bit of backyard maple syrup and done a bit of reading, and my understanding is that nearly all of the flavour compounds are produced at much higher sugar concentrations (late in the boil during sugar making, a point never reached during wort boiling). Combined with the volatility of of the aromatics, I wouldn't expect there to be much if any real maple flavour or aroma post fermentation... but maybe I am wrong. Check back in with your experience.

Comment

Maple Sap

The only big issue I would be concerned about would be that maple sap has a compound in it that is a diuretic. RO alone will not take this out. Maple producers commonly use RO pre-boil but the syrup needs to be filtered after boiling and before packaging. I think if you run the beer through a plate and frame filter before packaging you would be ok. I make a brown with maple once a year that comes out nice but I use a very dark grade that is already filtered. If you use a light grade the flavor gets lost. I would suggest to contact a local maple producer and ask for some syrup from the end of their season, possibly getting some that is too dark for them to sell and you can get a better price on it as it would be through away product anyway.

Comment

Working...
      X