Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermentation issues

Servus,

I have used 34/70 many times and have never had a problem.

I brewed a pils on wednesday and pitched first generation yeast at about 14C and let the cooling system cool it down to 10C. Apparently something is not accurate, as I set it for 10C but the tank was at 7.5 by Friday morning, 48 hours later, though my spunding valve was only showing a small increase in pressure. I brought it back up to 10C over the course of a day.

On Saturday, three days after pitching, pressure was increasing and the temp was starting regulate itself due to yeast activity. On Sunday and Monday, the pressure continued to increase until the pressure relief valve on the spunding valve start releasing co2, as the proper pressure was reached.

Today, Tuesday, the pressure is exactly the same, temp as well, but zero activity. I checked the gravity and it is halfway done. I have never had nor seen a fermentation apparently stop so fast and in the middle of fermentation.

Should I

1.) Leave it alone for a couple days to see if it is still fermenting and my valve are simply off?

2.) Repitch new yeast through a pressurized tank?

3.) do something else?

Thanks for the help!

Prost,
    Dave

The problem is that your yeast is sulking due to cooling and is now almost certainly sat grumpily on the bottom of the tank.

Try rousing first - perhaps with air, but make sure it is sterile. I would repitch at the full rate and aerate. The problem being knowing how much to aerate - unless you are using fresh dried yeast, in which case, simply make sure it is working well in some fresh wort. Make sure there isn't much temperature difference as this will also sulk if you activate at say 25 and then throw it in to 10 deg C wort.
    dick

Comment

I roused the yeast earlier today with co2 and will see how it is going tomorrow. If it hasn't picked back up, I have some dry yeast on the ready to pitch.

Comment

Hey Dick,

I roused the yeast using co2 and it seems to have worked. The beer has continued to attenuate, albeit at a slightly slower pace. I took a sample and am force fermenting it as a test to see where it should end up. Here's to hoping they finish the job.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X