Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanishing Dry Hop aroma in unitank help

Hello all,
    We recently dry hopped an IPA(our brewery's first IPA) with about .75 lb per BBL. we let the dry hops sit for about 5 days until the flavor and aroma was where we wanted it. crashed the fermentor(unitank) and was planning to carb the beer. I tasted the beer one last time and the hop aroma had vanished. any thoughts an why the aroma just vanished. our process was as follows:
    • crashed beer to 60 f after final gravity and added biofine
    • let it set for two days
    • dumped the cone
    • dry hopped and closed the blow off valve
    • once we had the desired taste,crash to carb temp @33ish
    • let it sit for 2 day again
    • dump the cone one last time and was about to carb

Your dry hop rate is low, or at least for the west coast it would be low. You are probably loosing the volatiles into the headspace. Try putting more hops in, knowing that you may loose some to the headspace gasses.

Are you doing anything to agitate the hops? Bubbling co2 in with the blow off open or anything like that? These methods would work to strip aromas from the beer as well.

Comment

I'd wait until that beer is carbed before you make a final judgement. Part of what you're experiencing is that aroma doesn't come out of a cold beer as readily as a warm one (why do you think Bud/Miller/Coors insist you drink their beers nearly frozen?). Carbonation will pull aroma out of the cold beer that would otherwise stay put.

...which isn't to say your dry hop rate isn't low, but a few bubbles should bring at least some of those hops back!

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
        Your dry hop rate is low, or at least for the west coast it would be low. You are probably loosing the volatiles into the headspace. Try putting more hops in, knowing that you may loose some to the headspace gasses.

Are you doing anything to agitate the hops? Bubbling co2 in with the blow off open or anything like that? These methods would work to strip aromas from the beer as well.
        We haven't bubbled. I'm going try and stop the cooling and add a few more hops to the mix since I dumped most of the hops out of the cone. How low is my initial hopping rate?

Comment

Originally posted by Cjfenske View Post
          We haven't bubbled. I'm going try and stop the cooling and add a few more hops to the mix since I dumped most of the hops out of the cone. How low is my initial hopping rate?
          Our pale ales are ~2lbs/bbl, ipa's 3, and our DIPA's 3.5-4. West Coast brewery with a reputation for making IPA's (both WC and NE styles).

Comment

Originally posted by kyleleddy View Post
            Our pale ales are ~2lbs/bbl, ipa's 3, and our DIPA's 3.5-4. West Coast brewery with a reputation for making IPA's (both WC and NE styles).
            Just to clarify, the above mentioned rates is not just your dry hopping rates?

Comment

Our dry hopping rates are similar. We've dialed in on a few that work for certain beers, but a lot is based on total oils of the hops as well. A good west coast pale/IPA/DIPA should be 2-4lbs of pellets/bbl, not inclusive of kettle additions.

Achieving good yields on these beers is difficult, but not impossible.

Comment

Working...
              X