Centennial Hops and rose aroma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centennial Hops and rose aroma

I use centennial; both pellets for early additions and whole leaf hops for near the end and whirlpools in quite a few of my recipes. However this last batch was with all additions of 2017 year hop pellets and for some reason the Geraniol seemed to come front and center. The aroma's are of roses and flowers, taste is even very florally. I am curious if this was just a case of using pelleted hops verses whole leaf. Part two of this is because of the aroma and flavor is was not something I was expecting, I found this beer to be bad. However now that I waited a couple days; and once I got over the idea of aroma and flavor being off it is really quite good and different.

Now for the help question.

When using pellets verse whole leaf is there some factor on figuring out what the pellets give you verses what the whole leaf hops provide? I have tried to do research on this but no real answers can be found.

I know that quite of few breweries use whole leaf for late and whirlpool additions. I am curious if this is because the fact that pellets could be more varied in the amount of lupulin, but I would figure that over a large enough dose this would even out.

I use quite a bit of Centennial, 18 lbs/15 bbl batch of our IPA, and have considered swapping it out for some other bittering hops as well.

I cant recall ever getting flowers in the nose, however. i'm intrigued by you saying pellets are more varied in lupulin? I've always known pellets to be more consistent on AAU, but havent heard anything on lupulin specifics. any good resources out there?

Originally posted by Conversations View Post
    I use centennial; both pellets for early additions and whole leaf hops for near the end and whirlpools in quite a few of my recipes. However this last batch was with all additions of 2017 year hop pellets and for some reason the Geraniol seemed to come front and center. The aroma's are of roses and flowers, taste is even very florally. I am curious if this was just a case of using pelleted hops verses whole leaf. Part two of this is because of the aroma and flavor is was not something I was expecting, I found this beer to be bad. However now that I waited a couple days; and once I got over the idea of aroma and flavor being off it is really quite good and different.

Now for the help question.

When using pellets verse whole leaf is there some factor on figuring out what the pellets give you verses what the whole leaf hops provide? I have tried to do research on this but no real answers can be found.

I know that quite of few breweries use whole leaf for late and whirlpool additions. I am curious if this is because the fact that pellets could be more varied in the amount of lupulin, but I would figure that over a large enough dose this would even out.

Comment

I cant get past the aroma of rose when using Centennial. It always makes me think of Turkish Delight

Comment

Working...
      X