Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silica Rich Australian Mineral Water

Hi Team,

I run a mineral water company in Australia and i'm looking at supplying the craft beer market with our quality Silica Rich mineral water. Would anyone know if Silica water has been used in the past to create a great beer and if so, what qualities would it bring to the beer? Please get in touch. Any information would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jamie Skrepetis
    Jacobs Well Noosa

Originally posted by JacobsWellNoosa View Post
    Hi Team,

I run a mineral water company in Australia and i'm looking at supplying the craft beer market with our quality Silica Rich mineral water. Would anyone know if Silica water has been used in the past to create a great beer and if so, what qualities would it bring to the beer? Please get in touch. Any information would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jamie Skrepetis
    Jacobs Well Noosa
    As I recall, silica tends to form a scale that can be very hard to remove, so I doubt you'd find brewers wanting to use it. My understanding is that although it's classified as a salt, it's usually present as a colloid, so I don't imagine it would do anything with the beer, beneficial or otherwise. I'm curious about what others might think, though.

Regards,
    Mike Sharp

Comment

Malt provides all the silica that a beer needs. Supplementing it with water-borne silica doesn't appear to be an advantage.
      WaterEng
      Engineering Consultant

Comment

Silica scale is very difficult to remove. I have enough problems with lime scale. We have enough silica in our water already to be a problem. Caustic after acid will remove the silica scale, but slowly.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
        X