No announcement yet.

Whirlpool addition with partially cooled wort after boil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my nano, and on our upcoming 20BBL, we have plumbed a circuit that does a short pass through the HX before the WP so that WP hops are added at about 170-ish. It's our brewer's idea. He says there is less isomerization of the hops, therefore less bitterness.

It's pretty easy to do - even though our first project manager at DME talked to us like we were asking for a nuclear reactor to heat the HLT..... Now that his boss has taken over, it's all a go, and the new PM says they've done several like this for the same reason.

Cheerio.

JR
    Last edited by Jer; 04-10-2018, 10:51 AM.
    Jeremy Reed
    Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
    The North of 48 Brewing Company
    Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Rascals View Post
      WE are also thinking of adding cold liquor to the kettle at the end of boil before sending to the whirlpool.
      Our water isnt de-areated -
      What is HSA? can you explain the issue?
      Thanks
      There's some good technical info here:

In any case, why not run HLT or boiled water through the HX to chill it before adding to the whirlpool?

Regards,
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Jer View Post
        On my nano, and on our upcoming 20BBL, we have plumbed a circuit that does a short pass through the HX before the WP so that WP hops are added at about 170-ish. It's our brewer's idea. He says there is less isomerization of the hops, therefore less bitterness.

It's pretty easy to do - even though our first project manager at DME talked to us like we were asking for a nuclear reactor to heat the HLT..... Now that his boss has taken over, it's all a go, and the new PM says they've done several like this for the same reason.

Cheerio.

JR
        Will the hops you already have in you kettle cause issues in your HEX? We found that even a small amount of hops getting into the HEX can be difficult to clean and may even reduce flow.
        Is it the same HEX used to chill before going into your FVs?

Comment

I'm looking at this at the moment.
          10bbl 2 vessel brewhouse
          To date all of my whirlpool hops have been going in at around 96 degrees C (205F) so i'm picking up a reasonable amount of ibu's.

For a new IPA i'm thinking of going short on the volume so I end the kettle boil at say 900-950 litres and then adding 150-200 litres of cold liquor to bring the temperature down.
          I figure say 950 at 96C + 150 at 4C (from cold liquor tank) will get me to around 84C

i'd bring the cold liquor into the kettle gently to avoid splashing

Has anyone tried this / see any issues? (For now I'm not keen on going through the heat exchanger pre whirlpool as i'm sure i'd just block it up with my boil hops !)

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by durham70 View Post
            I'm looking at this at the moment.
            10bbl 2 vessel brewhouse
            To date all of my whirlpool hops have been going in at around 96 degrees C (205F) so i'm picking up a reasonable amount of ibu's.

For a new IPA i'm thinking of going short on the volume so I end the kettle boil at say 900-950 litres and then adding 150-200 litres of cold liquor to bring the temperature down.
            I figure say 950 at 96C + 150 at 4C (from cold liquor tank) will get me to around 84C

i'd bring the cold liquor into the kettle gently to avoid splashing

Has anyone tried this / see any issues? (For now I'm not keen on going through the heat exchanger pre whirlpool as i'm sure i'd just block it up with my boil hops !)

Cheers

Whenever adding water make sure the water ph/chemistry doesn't undo all the effort you made to perfect it pre-dilution. I know we don't adjust the water in our CLT at all (aside from filtration) so adding much into the whirl could raise the PH of the final beer noticeably.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by briangaylor View Post
              Whenever adding water make sure the water ph/chemistry doesn't undo all the effort you made to perfect it pre-dilution. I know we don't adjust the water in our CLT at all (aside from filtration) so adding much into the whirl could raise the PH of the final beer noticeably.

Brian
              Thanks

I guess i could go via the mash tun and adjust the water chemistry (ph would be the only biggie I think) in there before transferring it into the kettle/whirlpool. I’d just need to make sure I gave the mash tun a good clean before I did it ? Otherwise I’ve got a hop back that holds 60 litres that I could use to hold and treat the cold liquor.....
              Last edited by durham70; 08-19-2018, 02:50 PM. Reason: Fix typo

Comment

Working...
              X