Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewhouse Upgrade - Hop Utilization

Hi all -

We are upgrading our brew system from 3.5bbl to 20bbl. I am in need of some help to calculate hop utilization on the bigger system, for the beers to remain consistent. I'm not the best with math but wonder if someone could point me in the right direction for calculating. I appreciate uour help!

There is no straight math for this. You will need to brew a batch and send the beer for IBU analysis to see what the kettle utilization is. Typically, the larger the kettle, the better the utilization.

As far as the math is concerned for recipe development, it is the same, you just use the peak utilization percentage that you determine experimentally. For instance, you send the same beer from your 3.5 bbl and your 20bbl to a lab for IBU testing. Scale the recipe straight up so everything is just linear. When you get your data back, you might find that your 20 bbl gives an IBU that is 5% higher than on your 3.5 system. You will need to adjust your 60 thru 30 minute efficiency number to reflect this. Obviously, this is not perfect, but realistically in most cases you get very little IBU from earlier additions.

This is really the only way of doing it other than making a series of single addition beers, where you add hops at various points, and see what your utilization is at each time, then develop a curve.
    Last edited by jebzter; 03-29-2018, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X