Lets here your side Streaming options for rural breweries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets here your side Streaming options for rural breweries

Alright, I'd like to first start by saying how awesome this site is and how great everyone's contributions are! Thank you.
    I recently started a thread about our septic situation at the brewery we are trying to get going on septic in rural Ontario.
    At first we were looking into treating the water and using it to irrigate, but we don't have enough property for that. They (the township) the said every bit of water has to go down the septic. But that will surely max out production quickly. There has been a new development...

We had our first visit with the Engineer last week who will be tackling this project and he seemed very responsive to trucking the water off site to a farm that has a spraying license! or even to a water treatment site. But I like the sounds of the water being used on a farm or something like that. Does anyone have any information on doing this as that seems like it could be a great idea. Can we let the solids settle out and just buffer for p.h. and let her go? Or is there a lot more to it than that? The Engineer is looking into it as well while talking with the township, I'm just hoping to gather more information, this may sound crazy but some of the precedence for our zoning was allowed based on a brewery in the States so please, any information pertaining to this would be great!!!
    Another quickie, They (the township) is wanting us to serve food, does anyone have a brewpub where the kitchen water and brew water are separate. The kitchen water will be going to the septic for sure, and even though there is a grease trap, they want another one, with or without fryers.
    Thank you all so much,
    Ian Leis
    Ward1BrewingCo.
    Last edited by Ward1BrewingCo.; 04-01-2018, 08:49 PM.
    Ian Leis
    Brewer/ Owner
    Ward1BrewingCo.

Respose form Water Engineer

***Hello Probrewers,***
    I realize that question was a bit intense. See below for some answers from our engineer. hoping now that he was some input, perhaps someone in the ProBrewer world has some input? Thanks so much, this is all very interesting.
    Ian Leis
    Ward1BrewingCo.

Email:

Thank you for your emails, Ian. As a quick status update, I spoke last week with (name removed for privacy) from the township regarding side-streaming of the brewery wastewater into a holding tank, and provide the following:

1. Side-streaming of brewery wastewater to a holding tank for haulage as conventional wastewater is prohibited by the Ontario Building Code, and will not be approved by the township.
    2. I worked on a project about ten years ago, in which the owner wished to side-stream process wastewater to a holding tank and haul it offsite for agricultural use (i.e., land-spreading). In my initial background research, I learned from OMAFRA that such wastewater must be demonstrated to be agriculturally beneficial (likely from a nutrient standpoint), in order for it to be land-spread in this fashion. As it turned out, the owner took a different path and had the wastewater hauled to a rendering plant; however, I expect the same requirements would apply here, in order for the wastewater to not be classified as conventional wastewater and for a holding tank to be permitted.
    3. (township rep.) indicated that he did not have a similar experience in the township of the Item 2 scenario to use as a reference case. Although he did not reject the concept, he requires the following in order for him to consider the matter in further detail: i) OMAFRA’s specific requirements and demonstration of conformance of the wastewater, and ii) potential for a haulage agreement with a landowner.
    4. We recommend that an agricultural consultant (perhaps a nutrient management expert) be contacted to provide guidance on the township’s requirements, as this falls outside our area of expertise.
    5. Although you will no doubt consider this (township rep.) also recommended that you look into the long-term cost of haulage (not a township requirement, but I think he was well-intended with the comment).

Regarding your question about the water-holding vessel, this question should be directed to your mechanical engineer, as water supply would be best-served by him. That said, you are correct about the 50,000 L/day maximum to require a Permit to Take Water; but it would be extremely unlikely for you to cross this threshold, given your intent to maintain approval for the septic system under Ontario Building Code jurisdiction (10,000 L/day peak flow).

Overall, I like the concept of side-streaming the brewery wastewater to a holding tank for agricultural use, if it can be facilitated from a regulatory standpoint; and as you mentioned previously, it would lift your onsite subsurface dispersal capacity. If this concept is approvable by the township, then it would be prudent to separate the brewery drains from the kitchen and all other plumbing. If it isn’t approvable by the township, then the connection details would be less relevant. Another point of consideration, if the township approved the notion, would be to determine if the hauled wastewater would be included in the 10,000 L/day tally for the property (this is interpreted differently by different regulators).

As a final comment, given the condition of the existing septic system, we recommend that it be replaced. We will look to keeping as many existing tanks as is feasible and also keep the door open to stock-piling and reusing uncontaminated sand from the existing leaching bed.

At this stage, can I leave the agricultural matter with you to look into? Our design will ultimately hinge on the fate of the brewery wastewater.

I’m happy to discuss further any comments or questions you have regarding the above.

Regards,

Dave

Consulting Engineer
    Ian Leis
    Brewer/ Owner
    Ward1BrewingCo.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with this unit?

Do you have any experience with a unit like this? or recommend one?

Was looking into building our own but the township would want an engineered stamp which this has.
      Currently awaiting a consultation, but my guess is it is going to be really expensive. (there may be grants, but not holding my breath)
      I will continue to update incase anyone else is looking into options like this.
      If you have any input please reply. The concept here is to avoid needlessly taxing the septic which will also cap production.
      Thanks a million,
      Ian Leis
      Ward1BrewingCo.
      Last edited by Ward1BrewingCo.; 04-23-2018, 01:49 AM.
      Ian Leis
      Brewer/ Owner
      Ward1BrewingCo.

Comment

I know you are in Canada, but maybe John Mercer at Brewery Wastewater can help you.
        Consultant for managing and designing brewery wastewater systems. Whatever your situation is, I can help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by HogMountain View Post
          I know you are in Canada, but maybe John Mercer at Brewery Wastewater can help you.
          https://brewerywastewater.com/
          Thank you very much, I have read a lot of this. I think this is a great idea to reach out.
          Thank you again,
          Ian Leis
          Ian Leis
          Brewer/ Owner
          Ward1BrewingCo.

Comment

BruClean

Any luck with the BruClean? I contacted them, as I am interested, but have not received anything back from them.

Comment

Clear Cove brewery sidestream wastewater treatment tank. From Victor, NY $30-35k. Reduces BOD and TSS in 1 day. Dump or pour after.

Comment

depends on cleaners

Hi Ian -

We've been cycling our greywater here for years - the main issue for us is volume, so we do as much as we can to reduce the volume in the first place by re-using all process water as many times as possible. We also use organic-approved environmentally friendly cleaners/sani (PBW and Oxonia, PL-10). We run into a holding tank first, which allows us to kill yeast (using sani and heat), pH balance (barely necessary, actually) and settle a bit, then pump onto the fields almost every day. We've tested the greywater a number of times and had no issues. Depending on quantity of water, you might want a larger holding pond after the blending tank, and use reedbeds or mycorizae to filter the output. Bigger holding ponds have more value for long-term irrigation over a wider area as well.
                Crannóg Ales
                Canada's Certified Organic, on-farm microbrewery
                www.crannogales.com

Comment

If a Bioreactor for removing BOD and TDS is of interest, you should take a look at BioGill https://www.biogill.com/
                  The Biogill towers cost about $15k USD and come with a 500 gallon holding tank and they can be linked together. They also have larger solutions if the towers are not big enough. They also process the water in a day. I considered using one but getting a permit to then spread on a pasture is still a lot of work for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X