Heating Boiler Incoming water.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heating Boiler Incoming water.

Just a thought i had. Most of the quotes we have for a new boiler account for 50* incoming water. Our new facility has an extra Rinnai instant hot water heater that hits 185*. If we pipe this inline with boiler feed would we be able to utilize a smaller boiler? I know this isn't an ideal situation but we have access to an undersized Sussman boiler at a good price and i was thinking it might be a short term solution and we can upgrade once we pick up production (and cashflow).

Thanks

Chris

Boiler calculations are based on worst case scenario. They are assuming the coldest water gets in the winter in your area is 50ish. When your boiler is setup you will most likely be using returned condensate water from a condensate tank to feed your boiler. So, the more you use the boiler the hotter the condensate feed water will be, the less energy you use. In most cases the feed system from the condensate return tank utilizes a pump. It can be dangerous to put municipal water pressure on any vessel not rated for it. Low pressure boilers are most likely not rated for it. Also, most boilers require some type of treatment chemical added inline at the condensate tank. You would never want these chemicals to be able to backflow into a drinking water source.
    I highly recommend you consult the manufacturer of the boiler for a complete diagram of the installation of the boiler you are looking at before making changes. You can also get a consult with a local mechanical contractor. In all my experience boilers are not a place you want to cut corners, I have seen one melt down and am luck to be alive.
    Last edited by BrewinLou; 04-02-2018, 02:47 PM.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Thanks

My mechanical guy basically said the same thing.

We'll just put that idea in the crapper.

Chris

Comment

Working...
      X