Massachusetts Approved Burners Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massachusetts Approved Burners Needed

We recently had a plumbing inspection and we are being required to replace our impinged jet burners as they do not have a Massachusetts Approval sticker or certificate. We have spent countless hours searching for this criteria but keep coming up empty handed. Any help finding a manufacturer who produces Massachusetts approved jet burners would be truly appreciated!

We also are being told that our MicroMatic driptray with glass rinser needs to be replaced with a Massachusetts approved version - hopefully I can get something from MicroMatic on the actual rinser piece.

Originally posted by aquinn View Post
    We recently had a plumbing inspection and we are being required to replace our impinged jet burners as they do not have a Massachusetts Approval sticker or certificate. We have spent countless hours searching for this criteria but keep coming up empty handed. Any help finding a manufacturer who produces Massachusetts approved jet burners would be truly appreciated!

We also are being told that our MicroMatic driptray with glass rinser needs to be replaced with a Massachusetts approved version - hopefully I can get something from MicroMatic on the actual rinser piece.
    I don't know if you'll find a standalone burner that's approved. They seem to approve mainly assembled products. But with that thought in mind, I looked up what products they have approved for Wok ranges (which often have impinged jet burners), and there are some listed:

In any case, if it's approved, it should be listed in their database. Unfortunately, they have a typically crappy search system, with no way to refine your results.

I know in many locales, it's easier to get approval if you simply buy a commercial stock pot range, and they are more familiar to inspectors. Range...check. Hood...check. Done. Well, I've actually heard of jurisdictions that require an Ansul fire suppression system, which is laughable.

But you might ask your inspectors if you could use the jet burner out of an approved range. Then swap your non-approved burner out with the approved one, and sell the range to someone in New York.

Regards,
    Mike Sharp

Comment

Ward burners

Reach out to Ward Burners. They sell brewery/distillery jet burners and safety systems to go with the burners. They might be able to help.

Distillery and Brewery burners and burners for large pots and vats by Ward Burner Systems.

I am always amazed how one jurisdiction places all of this regulatory control over the use of jet burners while another town or state doesn’t seem to care about a brewery using them at all!

Comment

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am trying like hell to find anything that is approved -- MicroMatic reps were not super helpful, but it appears that Perlick rinsers are approved, so I am replacing my MicroMatic rinser for another few hundred bucks. As for the burners, can't find anyone in the sales world who has a clue. Been on with multiple parts suppliers and manufacturers, trying to get enough info to find something that will work. After 3.5 years of uphill battles I just want to open my doors already, but there always seems to be another pile to step in on the way! Ward is not approved by the state, and I am hard pressed to find much info on the state database. It is a nightmare to search -- wonder who in the pipefitters union is getting paid off to maintain the list of "approved products".

I will run down the range option, do you have anything you would recommend for a split 5 bbl system (utilizing two 2.5 bbl kettles). We have ventilation hood and make-up air, we have adequate gas service, and we had to replace an existing ansul system with a compressed CO2 emergency system with automatic gas shutoffs.
        Last edited by aquinn; 04-06-2018, 05:26 PM. Reason: Posted too soon

Comment

Go electric?

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am trying like hell to find anything that is approved -- MicroMatic reps were not super helpful, but it appears that Perlick rinsers are approved, so I am replacing my MicroMatic rinser for another few hundred bucks. As for the burners, can't find anyone in the sales world who has a clue. Been on with multiple parts suppliers and manufacturers, trying to get enough info to find something that will work. After 3.5 years of uphill battles I just want to open my doors already, but there always seems to be another pile to step in on the way! Ward is not approved by the state, and I am hard pressed to find much info on the state database. It is a nightmare to search -- wonder who in the pipefitters union is getting paid off to maintain the list of "approved products".

I will run down the range option, do you have anything you would recommend for a split 5 bbl system (utilizing two 2.5 bbl kettles). We have ventilation hood and make-up air, we have adequate gas service, and we had to replace an existing ansul system with a compressed CO2 emergency system with automatic gas shutoffs.
          Sounds like going electric might be easier. Get elements from Brewmation. Get some tri clamp ferrules that fit your elements and have a local welder weld them in your kettles. If you have two 2.5 bbl kettles you will need two or three 6000 elements per kettle. Get some super basic manual UL listed safety switches for each kettle element and you should be good to go hopefully. I am so sorry that your inspectors are so difficult.
          Last edited by Catfish002; 04-06-2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Catfish002 View Post
            Sounds like going electric might be easier. Get elements from Brewmation. Get some tri clamp ferrules that fit your elements and have a local welder weld them in your kettles. If you have two 2.5 bbl kettles you will need two or three 6000 elements per kettle. Get some super basic manual UL listed safety switches for each kettle element and you should be good to go hopefully. I am so sorry that your inspectors are so difficult.
            We originally were going to go electric but after conversations with Eversource we learned three phase is not available and our building is double tapped with 100amp service, so we do not have sufficient capacity nor will they upgrade the service. #upacreek

Comment

We originally were going to go electric but after conversations with Eversource we learned three phase is not available and our building is double tapped with 100amp service, so we do not have sufficient capacity nor will they upgrade the service. #upacreek
              Dang. Ok, then getting a 5bbl kettle set up with a firebox to accommodate a UL listed forced air burner might have to be an option. Midco forced air burners are UL listed. For 5bbls you would need this burner:
              Midco Economite series power gas burners emit concentrated flames, come with an air blower motor and are designed to be used in a closed insulated box. Get a new Midco Economite Burner - EC200 Forced Air 200000 BTU from Glacier Tanks, your neighborhood brewing expert. Talk to us! Brew with us! Share with us!

Glacier Tanks sells 5bbl forced air burner kettles: https://www.glaciertanks.com/product...&product=10026

If you want to buy direct from China, Sungood Machinery is a reputable manufacturer and they can even do a single walled uninsulated forced air burner kettle to save you money.

Are you 2.5bbl kettles just steel barrels?

Comment

No, they are stout tanks kettles without fireboxing

Comment

Update: after contacting Ward and a number of other burner manufacturers, no one was able to safely state they were MA certified, nor that they had ever heard of the requirement. We ended up purchasing two Stockpot burners that were on the approved list, and will modify this as needed.

Comment

Working...
                  X