Nitro IPA: Interesting and good or just interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitro IPA: Interesting and good or just interesting

I'm brewing a white IPA with Belma, Wakatu, Mosaic, and Amarillo. Malt bill is incorporating some flaked wheat and golden naked oats. I thought a cool twist would be to serve it on nitro but I have read some bad reviews about doing this with hoppy beers (mostly centred around the Guinness IPA). I also read that this approach is basically a trade off between hop aroma/bitterness and texture/mouthfeel. I have never had an IPA on beer gas that I remember. I am starting to second guess myself. Is this a horrible idea? Is there a way to make this work so that's not just a kooky experiment? My customers are very intrigued by the idea...

We rotate some of our IPAs on nitro occasionally...the kegs always go fast because it's something different. We've done a Blood Orange IPA and a malty DIPA both with good results. Neither of these beers were overly bitter, so that may have helped. The creaminess enhanced the maltiness and both were tasty. Not sure how it would have come out with a super bitter IPA.

Comment

I've done both pale ale and IPA on nitro. They tend to sell pretty well, and taste pretty good in my opinion. I think the hoppier (or rather more bitter) you get the less "good" the beers get, so if I'm doing an IPA, I tend to only do a keg or two as a special, where I might consider doing a whole batch of pale ale as nitro only. I haven't done too many recently, because the owner doesn't like nitro beers, and I'm not yet willing to use my cache to make it happen, but I've been mulling it over.

I do have a question for you. You don't mention the yeast you are using. Are you using a Belgian strain? To me a white IPA uses a Belgian Wit yeast, and if you're using a standard American strain you're making a Wheat IPA, like Arcadia Rapunzel IPA (or in your case, since it has oats, a multi grain IPA - something akin to Bell's Oatsmobile [though that's more of a multi-grain pale ale]).

Comment

Never had one, but I did have an American brown that the brewer f-ed up the IBU calculation on, creating an undrinkable monstrosity. He threw it onto nitro to hide the bitterness and it was quite nice. That gives some indication of the perceptual changes to be expected.

Comment

Working...
        X