Contract licensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract licensing

If a person was to open a “contract brewery” in California, what license would be needed? From what i understand one would somply need a distribution license through abc. Aside from local business licenses are there any others that may be needed through abc or ttb?

those are different tiers, you cant do that in a three tier system.

brewers brew. distributors distribute. you gotta pick one.

thats the technical answer.

the answer i think you're looking for is that a 23 small brewers license will let you brew as well as sell your beer to retailers on wholesale basis, or give it to a distributor who sells to retailers for you.

i dont recall if contract brewing poses an issue, i think you can then sell your own beer wholesale after the contract brewer has paid the taxes. i dont think the contract brewer can wholesale your beer for you though. that'd be distributing.

i know the licensing stuff is right, but i could be off about the contract aspects of it. someone else can chime in here im sure.

Comment

The way i understand it is if you do not brew the beer then You do not need a brewing license. If you are purchasing the beer from the brewer as a contract brewer you will simply need a distributor license. The brewer is responsible for the taxes paid to the government which CAN be passed on to the purchaser. But i was hoping to hear from someone that had some more experience or knowledge then myself

Comment

if you want an expert answer why dont you call the experts and ask them.

ABC HEADQUARTERS

3927 Lennane Drive, Suite 100
        Sacramento, CA 95834
        (916) 419-2500
        Headquarters@abc.ca.gov

Comment

If you do not brew on premise, you can not have any of the brewing licenses. You would be a distributor. But, to then have a tasting room, you would need to have the appropriate retail license, which carries with it other restrictions. Brain is correct, go talk to the ABC, or if you don't want to talk to them for some reason, reach out directly to breweries that contract brew. Calicraft, Almanac, Highwater, or call Hermitage, who does the brewing for a ton of places.

Comment

Working...
          X