Mystery steam problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery steam problem

We recently replaced all our steam traps in our brewhouse. The old ones were very old--used when we built the system--and leaking badly, preventing us from getting a good boil in the kettle.

Now we have a new problem, and it's transient to make things more fun.

When the problem is occurring, it causes the boil from our calandria to pulse with a very regular rhythm. The pulsing is about 5 minutes of boil, then 5 minutes of no boil.

Our steam traps have a thermostatic air-purge valve, and the runs from the steam jackets and calandria are as short as possible.

I've read some about steam locking, but I don't think it's the problem--but it could be as the run of the condensate from the calandria inside the kettle may be long enough to cause the problem. We have never heard any water-hammer in the system.

Sometimes this problem doesn't raise its ugly head, but this last brew has been a nightmare.

Any ideas?
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Maybe add more air vents?

I always include separate air vents at the top of the jackets. Even with air vents on steam traps. Sounds to me like air. Hard for that air to be discharged from bottom of jacket through the trap.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Philip--Can you recommend an air valve? I'm not familiar with them, but I'll do some looking.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
        We recently replaced all our steam traps in our brewhouse. The old ones were very old--used when we built the system--and leaking badly, preventing us from getting a good boil in the kettle.

Now we have a new problem, and it's transient to make things more fun.

When the problem is occurring, it causes the boil from our calandria to pulse with a very regular rhythm. The pulsing is about 5 minutes of boil, then 5 minutes of no boil.

Our steam traps have a thermostatic air-purge valve, and the runs from the steam jackets and calandria are as short as possible.

I've read some about steam locking, but I don't think it's the problem--but it could be as the run of the condensate from the calandria inside the kettle may be long enough to cause the problem. We have never heard any water-hammer in the system.

Sometimes this problem doesn't raise its ugly head, but this last brew has been a nightmare.

Any ideas?
        Hello Timm,

Have a look at this link, https://www.cheresources.com/invisio...-thermosiphon/

I manufacture external thermosyphons. As the temperature rises closer to the boil, the thermosyphon may start to oscillate like a liquid in a U tube. The solution is to pump the wort around the circuit until it reaches boiling, then switch off the pump and thermosyphoning should commence. Pumping the wort at the start aids heat transfer and minimises caramelisation. From what you have described, it seems like the severity of the problem is affected by the depth of wort in the copper.

This is no definitive answer, but the problem probably lies more in the configuration of the calandria rather than steam side heat
        transfer.

I hope all goes well.

Best regards,
        Michael George.

Comment

I like Spirax equipment...

Can't go wrong with time-tested, bullet-proof, solid design. Spirax isn't the only steam equipment manufacturer, but it's definitely my first choice. Look at their AV-13 which I put on a tee with their VB-14, a vacuum breaker to allow steam to condense without drawing a vacuum in your jackets. Put at the highest point of the jacket and you're good to go. When you shut down the jacket, the VB-14 allows air inside to replace condensing steam. Then on start-up, the AV-13 vents the air to allow full steam contact with jackets. They also have tons of on-line steam tutorials and fast response with real people to online questions. First rate.
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Thanks, Philip.

I've been doing my research and it seems our entire steam line system is badly designed--in fact, I'd say it's "built" rather than "designed". Unfortunately, all the piping is welded, making modifications difficult. I'm hoping we can come up with the bucks to get the whole thing professionally rebuilt sometime in the future.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
            X