Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why aroma is stronger in polykeg than in 33cl bottle

Hi guys

i can't understand why our IPA are ok in the polykeg (24lt) than bottles (33cl). dh is 2,7. We haven't isobaric filling. After one month the beer in the bottles has lost all the hop aroma. And remains only the bitter and a little bit of aroma. In boiling we add hops at 60 5 0 whirlpool.

Can somebody suggest me something?

thanks

Massimo

What kind of crowns are you using? Oxygen scavenging ones are known to absorb more than oxygen. Also, with any crown, there will be leakage of the volatile compounds over time. Could also be oxygen in package, crowns that aren't sealed properly, etc. If you have the aroma in the keg, but not in the bottle its probably not the beer. Probably the package.

Comment

we have tried both crowns. Normal and oxygen scavenging. You said:"Oxygen scavenging ones are known to absorb more than oxygen." means that they absorb aroma also?

Maybe we can check if they are sealed properly. We use manual machine. https://www.grifomarchetti.com/prodo...rifo-cod-tcsg/

What do you think?

Comment

My guess is that you're experiencing higher oxidation rates in the bottles you're filling. It sounds like you're bottling/capping by hand and that can cause a fair bit of O2 pickup by the beer. That oxidation will destroy nice hop aromas quickly.
        Manuel

Comment

Hand cappers are very hard to have consistent crimping of the crowns. There is a gauge available to make sure you are getting the proper crimp and seal with your crowns. I agree that hand bottling also has less than ideal oxygen pickup, which would kill aromas very fast.

Comment

Are both package sizes stored in the exact same temp? The thermal mass of a keg is a lot bigger than a bottle. D.O. pickup on your bottling line is going to be different than your keg filler.
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou View Post
              Are both package sizes stored in the exact same temp? The thermal mass of a keg is a lot bigger than a bottle. D.O. pickup on your bottling line is going to be different than your keg filler.
              This is after a month, both keg and bottle would be at the same temp within a day. The keg would be showing the same problem if the DO issue was developed prior to filling.

Comment

well also polykeg when you put your nose on the glass the aroma is not so strong as dryhopping would be. (it is 10gr/liter) Well it is nice in the fermenter. I must say the after boiling the wort goes directly to fermenter without passing in the plate heat exchangers and it is refreshed directly there. Because we are waiting for a new plate heat exchangers. Could this one speed up the reduction of the aroma?

Comment

Assuming you dry hop properly, after fermentation, you shouldn't have any issues. Might see some off flavors from the extended high temps, you should get your HX back up and running quickly. the 10g/L(2.5lbs/bbl) hop rate, is that total hop rate for the whole beer, boil to dry hop, or just the dry hop. If it is the total, you are low on your dry hopping rate. If it is just the dry hop, you could increase a little, though you should still get reasonable aromas depending on the hops used. Sounds to me like there might also be other process issues as well, you should make sure that you are following good procedures for purging tanks, hoses, kegs, bottles before using them with finished beer. Make sure you are treating your wort right so as not to increase staling precursors.

Comment

10gr/lt is just the dh. Mosaic El Dorado and Azacca. But they are not free, we make it using bags.

Comment

Working...
                    X