Thread: Square & Taproom Keg Sale Deposits

Square & Taproom Keg Sale Deposits

We are considering a switch from ShopKeep to Square but there is one major item holding us back. When we sell kegs to customers in our taproom we charge a $100 deposit. ShopKeep has the ability to setup the deposit as a liability item, which means that it's not added to our daily sales upon purchase or removed from our daily sales when the keg is returned. Square does not have the same capability, so keg deposits will artificially inflate our sales and our refund figures. Has anyone that uses Square figured out a way around this issue?

Thanks!

Chris

We use square too, and this is a problem for our wholesale numbers.
    I would post this question to the Square community. I recently asked about setting up a separate gift card option for donations. We often give gift cards for raffles for charity events and whatnot. The answer i got was to run the gift card and give a 100% discount. It works, but it takes a little more uncovering when doing the accounting and is a little sloppy. I wonder if enough of us requested it, they'd introduce it as a feature (gift cards and deposits). We operate in a bottle deposit state, so this would be convenient for our bottle releases too.

Quote Originally Posted by clsmit View Post
    We are considering a switch from ShopKeep to Square but there is one major item holding us back. When we sell kegs to customers in our taproom we charge a $100 deposit. ShopKeep has the ability to setup the deposit as a liability item, which means that it's not added to our daily sales upon purchase or removed from our daily sales when the keg is returned. Square does not have the same capability, so keg deposits will artificially inflate our sales and our refund figures. Has anyone that uses Square figured out a way around this issue?

Thanks!

Chris
    We are in the same predicament. We plan to start distributing soon. I called Square and they suggested we set up another "location" in which we will use the "wholesale" location just for distribution invoices. This will allow us to get sales report numbers on just daily sales in the taproom vice kegs that went out for the day including our $50 deposits.

It's not the perfect solution but it may work..