Brut IPA questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brut IPA questions

I recently read an article about San Francisco's new beer fad, super dry, low IBU IPA's. So far what I've read is that most brewers have used around 75% pils malt and 25% adjunct, adding Amylo 300 from BSG to the fermenter after harvesting their yeast. I haven't really seen an range for IBU's for a beer like this, but would assume you want it to be on the lower end of the spectrum due to the amyloid-300 drying the beer out so much. Right now I would be making this on a 1/2bbl pilot system, then scaling it up to our 3.5bbl system. So far I've been using Beersmith to build recipes, but I would like to see if anyone has a range for IBU's and Abv that they have used for making one of these beers. They sound very interesting to me, and I would like to try one with Enigma and Nelson because they both have that white wine characteristic to them. Any help would be appreciated.

you dont even really need the adjunct, as you're basically making the miller lite of ipas by using the enzyme. adjunct would lighten the flavor even more if you went that route.

we used to do it with a mixed ferment, big dose of brett added about 2/3 through the ferment to get down around .005 FG. i guess that makes it an old school non-gmo brut?

my advice would be to figure that you need to bitter like a lager, as no unfermentables are left to balance the bitter out with a bit of malty sweet. no crystal. low mash temp, etc. so dont go crazy with the ibus. if i was going to make this now i'd probably try to do something along the lines of a neipa where the bittering came from the big doses of FO/WP hops.

stating the obvious now, but the beer is super dry, so you dont need much bitter. clean and crisp is the game. just like miller lite.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the help. Yeah, where we are we get a lot of people in who like lighter beers. We tend to sell a lot of pilsners and lagers, especially to the people who are local, so when I saw the article about Brut IPA's I thought it might be a beer worth trying for us. In the article the brewer they interviewed said they use up to 25% adjunct, but I think I'm going to try and just do a straight forward pilsner malt base grain bill. I'd still like to use Nelson and Enigma to get that whit wine like characteristic.

Comment

Id maybe do two row vs pils, just because pils can get grainy, but thats me. Both will get you where you want to be.

I wouldn’t be afraid to try some adjuncts, but i personally would worry about picking up that rice flavor that bud has, or the sweet corn like corona. But they could work in right amount.

Hops sound good. But expensive. $30/# for nelson? Yowza.

Comment

I was debating between 2 row and Pils, from what I've got from the different articles I've read most places are using pils, but i think two row would work as well. I'm going to a few trial batches on our 1/2bbl system to see which hops work the best. I liked nelson and enigma because they give a white wine characteristic , and i kind of like he idea of having a champagne like like character to this beer. I'll probably test out a few other types of hops as well, but from what I've read most people have been using the citrus forward varieties. I wouldn't mind seeing what a hops like equinox, bellman, el dorado, or medusa would produce.

Comment

Havent played with enigma or tasted it as far as i know, but if its like nelson it should do the job. That’s definitely in line with the concept, very similar to our recipe. But expensive. No way around it unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
            X