Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caustic soda mixture strength

Hi all,

I've got a bag of micropearl caustic soda, and I'm not sure how much I need to add to how much water in order to get a strength that's good for washing kegs. Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

Mike

Generally pure NaOH is not used, its a built product with chelating and surfactant products added. 1000ppm is something that I have seen for cleaning though. That would be 3.5ml 50% NaOH Soln/gallon H2O. Its advisable to go to the manufacturer, they will be able to tell you anything you need to know on how to use it.

Comment

Do NOT use pure caustic soda. You must always use formulated detergents, which will include agents etc. - even if you use acid detergent as a secondary detergent wash.

I worked at one brewery where they had been doing just that (unformulated caustic only) for I don't know how long, and had to spend two complete 8 hour shifts simply getting rid of the beer stone that had built up in a single conditioning tank and the associated CIP set. Oddly, the other 7 CTs cleaned by this CIP set had virtually no stone / scale - but all of them suffered from poor micro. This was in an area with virtually demineralised water being used for brewing (albeit with salts additions in the brewhouse)
      dick

Comment

Thanks guys,

I’ve now found a chemical supplier with a blend designed for cip and keg cleaning...too much confusion with this dry stuff, and as you have both said, it’s not the right thing anyway.

Cheers,
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        X