Plastic Fermenter Lid Leaks - please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Fermenter Lid Leaks - please help

I'm pressure testing plastic fermenters to 1 psi in order to push.

I'm getting leaks between the lid gasket and the lid collar. 3 of 3 leak so far.

I siliconed under and around the collar including the screws.

Is there another method i.e. gasket placement on the collar instead of the lid? I'm stumped, please help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5360.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	195728

We used to use these plastic FV's when we were on our 3bbl system. We had much better luck putting that gasket around the edge of the ring that screws onto the top of the fermenter (where you have the silicone) and not on the edge of the lid. We also did not use any silicone at all to seal up the tanks - this allows you to fully disassemble the lid apparatus for complete cleaning and sanitizing. We would get occasional leaks, but for the most part they were remedied by using a small dead-blow mallet to tap the lid nice and snug.

Short of fully sealing the lid and threaded ring with silicone EVERY time you assemble it, this is the big downfall of these vessels. As soon as you are attenuated and pass VDKs, get that beer out of there and into a brite tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Smith View Post
      I'm pressure testing plastic fermenters to 1 psi in order to push.

I'm getting leaks between the lid gasket and the lid collar. 3 of 3 leak so far.

I siliconed under and around the collar including the screws.

Is there another method i.e. gasket placement on the collar instead of the lid? I'm stumped, please help.

[ATTACH]61847[/ATTACH]
      are those ace roto mold tanks? where'd you get the gaskets? i didnt see any on their website and wouldnt mind finding some for our polys.

has anyone ever used thin strips of a suitable plastic/rubber material? like ptfe or buna for tc gaskets? not sure if they make them, but would think they should work if you could find them.
      Last edited by brain medicine; 06-06-2018, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brain medicine View Post
        are those ace roto mold tanks? where'd you get the gaskets? i didnt see any on their website and wouldnt mind finding some for our polys.

has anyone ever used thin strips of a suitable plastic/rubber material? like ptfe or buna for tc gaskets? not sure if they make them, but would think they should work if you could find them.
        those look like the 12" stout fermenter gaskets... I bought the same but havent used the tanks yet since the vendor I bought them from or trucking company lost the stands..

Comment

Working...
        X