Preparing Media and Autoclaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing Media and Autoclaving

Hello, I am preparing a lot of media today for plating later on. I was wondering if I am able to prepare the media for autoclaving and place the media into an un-autoclaved pyrex jar. It would be autoclaved immediately after. This theoretically would still sterilize the media and the glassware correct? Thoughts?

If i'm understanding correctly, you should be good. If you are dissolving the media in an un-autoclaved jar, and then autoclaving that jar with the dissolved media immediately after dissolving it, then yep it will all be sterile. Just need to let it cool down to ~60 dC before making your plates while keeping the lid slightly open to prevent a vacuum.

Comment

That's what I thinking but just wanted to hear some feedback before I pulled the trigger. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by berniebutgereit View Post
        Hello, I am preparing a lot of media today for plating later on. I was wondering if I am able to prepare the media for autoclaving and place the media into an un-autoclaved pyrex jar. It would be autoclaved immediately after. This theoretically would still sterilize the media and the glassware correct? Thoughts?
        of course, there's absolutely no need to put the agar media into a sterilized vessel prior to sterilization. The media vessel needs to be "surgically" clean however; which just means there's no debris or crud on it. This way the sterilization cycle can achieve sterilization.
        I hope I encouraged you!

Comment

Make sure the glass you are using is heat rated for the temperature of your hot plate setting. I've seen some shatter because people had the plate at 500 C when the glass max is 400 C.

Happy plating!

Comment

Working...
          X