Thread: Gelatin at >7bbl level

Gelatin at >7bbl level

I just started at a 7bbl brewery and I would like to know how one adds gelatin at this scale. You can't really get a spoon and mix it in, right? How do you ensure a good distribution instead of just pour it into one spot and having less-than-ideal results?

Thanks.

may I make a suggestion? have you tried Biofine Clear? I use between 50 ml and 100 ml per bbl and it vegan friendly. it can also be add directly into the tank prior filling to mix well.

Biofine Clear or Nalco 1072, same product. Don't use gelatin on commercial scale, biofine works too well to deal with the hassle of gelatin.

In the past for a 7bbl system my process was:
    • Mix gelatin (usually 2 oz by weight for 7 bbl) with sterile room temp water in large sanitized glass pitcher. Allow gelatin to "set-up" for 10-15 minutes.
    • Thin out gelatin with hot liquor or sterile hot water.
    • Immediately after transfer/filter from fermenter to brite tank, pour gelatin mix through the PRV of brite tank
    • Immediately begin carbonating through carb stone in brite tank.

Usually this would yield good results in about 24 hours. Be prepared for some gelatin/yeast to settle in the bottom of the brite tank. You'll want to use a sight glass when filling kegs off the brite so you can dump any settled yeast out of the bottom of the tank before you fill your first keg. Also keep a close eye on the last keg you fill or you're going to get a bunch of yeast in it!
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Brewer
    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
    Hyde Park, NY

I second the vote for biofine and nalco. much better results and much faster. I inject my nalco through a tee during transfer at the bottom of the brite with co2 pressure. I've seen other people using a corny keg as a brink for finings.