Thread: Alfa-Laval Brew 80 centrifuge at work

Alfa-Laval Brew 80 centrifuge at work

We recently purchased an Alfa-Laval Brew 80 centrifuge. I was a little leery as I'd seen some comments here about centrifuges not removing very fine haze, which is what we were aiming for.

Here are the results:

Name:  2018-05-16 002 Centri.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  71.5 KB

That's our Pils. Guess which is before and which after?

Second day running and we're very pleased. Jason Munoz is the tech who came out to set up and get us up to speed on operation, and he's doing a great job!

We're gonna need a bigger bright tank!
    Last edited by TGTimm; 05-16-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

What a difference!
    While I don't fully understand what the process it must entail to reach the outcome?
    I sure, as a consumer, can say which I would prefer to look at.

But hey. If you -do- need to upgrade?
    More than happy to help you with a Brite. 🤣
    Cedarstone Industry
    7432 Fairbanks N Houston Rd
    Houston, TX 77040
    Tel. 281-397-3700 ext. 1
    eMail. naomi@cedarstoneindustry.com

A couple of notes: The beer above is our Pils, not the ESG. Our pilsner yeast doesn't floc as well as our house yeast. We ran the ESG yesterday at about 35 bbl/hour, but the pils, with its heavier yeast load, ran at about 20 bbl/hour.

One thing about this machine is set-up and cleaning time. I takes about 45 minutes for each end of the run, so we need to run as much beer as possible each time we run it to maximize our efficiency.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

That is looking great Tim! We have a GEA and found it to be great. The centrifuges dont seem to have an issue with yeast haze, in our experience, more with polyphenol haze. Have you run some high hopped IPA’s through it? What is your DO pickup through one of these?

This is our second week using the A L, so we haven't run a highly-hopped beer through it yet. I'll report back when we do.

DO meter is next on my wishlist. We just have an open-electrode tester right now, and it's junk.

One more thing I'm adding to this system: A pressure tank and check valve on the incoming water line. We can get some pretty significant drops in water pressure when cleaning, and the machine will shut itself down if the pressure falls too low--much below 20psi. I just ordered a 7.6 gal bladder style tank, which will give us a couple of minutes' buffer. When the machine shuts down due to low water pressure or any loss of power, it has to slowly run down to a stop before re-staring. This takes about a half hour or more.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Enterprise. Oregon.