Off gassing beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off gassing beer

I have this beer that is that is off gassing for some time now and the gravity really isn't changing. It is a neipa that started at 19.5p. It fermented down to 4.8p and stop bubbling. I added hops on the 30th of april with recirc. It off gassed like normal when adding the hops and continued to bubble. I usually hit the hops a little before terminal. It to this day continues to bubble about once every 10 seconds for the 20bbl batch. Gravity went up to 5.8p after dry hoping because I don't have a good way of filtering samples. It dropped to 5.5 after a couple of days and is still at 5.5p. I have never had a beer keep bubbling like this. We planned on packaging but I held off due to this. My fear is wild yeast contamination from possibly the hops. I opened all fresh packages of hops for dry hoping.

It still tastes good. We are a pretty small brewery and I don't have any way of testing it at the moment. Has anyone had something like this happen? I have to figure out quick whether to package or to dump. Does anyone have any advice?

The release of CO2 through the airlock isn't necessarily a sign of fermentation. Toward the end/after fermentation, the beer has a lot of CO2 in solution and that dissolved CO2 is coming out of solution to reach a point of equilibrium. The addition of hops makes this faster, as the hops add a lot of nucleation points.

To further this point, if you add a big quantity of hops to a beer that has a LOT of CO2 in solution (was previously spunded), get ready for a beer explosion - I speak from experience.

Comment

Do you de-gas your samples before taking a gravity reading? Did you personally take all three samples (4,8, 5.8, 5.8). It sounds like you need to tighten your gravity reading process. Dry hopping won’t effect a gravity reading like that.

Do you check ph on your beer samples? This should also indicate how your fermentation is progressing.

Finally, how do your beers typically finish with this yeast strain? You should cap a tank .5-1 degrees above terminal to capture co2. If you’re watching co2 bubble out of a finished beer you’re wasting time when you could serve that beer and turn that tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with the above poster. Your gravity reading procedure is flawed.
        If you don't have a way to filter and degas your sample you can pour it back and forth a few dozen times and let it sit a hour or two before taking the reading to get one that is more accurate.

I've seen people take gravities poorly specifically to get fudged numbers, why not just write down fudged numbers and skip the reading entirely is my answer hah.
        I hope I encouraged you!

Comment

Working...
        X