No announcement yet.

CIP rotating spray balls recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 runoff points?? Are you kidding? Manual cleaning time required on a regular basis. I would have expected one only on this size setup - centrally placed, ideally at the bottom of a shallow cone. I agree 4 SBs is ridiculous - 2 maximum, and only two if you have infernal rakes. 4 SBs in anything this size will interfere with each other horribly where they cross over.

To measure flow, simply time how long it takes to transfer a known volume through a single SB, then again through 2 SBs. Pressure? How far does the spray pattern throw if not inside the vessel?

There is normally a fair bit of liquid escapes from the joints between the feed pipe and the ball - it is required to clean the SB itself and lubricate the bearing surfaces.
    dick

Comment

Originally posted by Sgaura79 View Post
      All my spray valves are virtually that same. The difference being thypiping in the brewhouse vs. the standard CIP loop of a FV and the fact that the MLT has 4 balls vs. 1 in the FV. The kettle with 4 balls is no the beat either. I know the piping is a factor but I have done all I can to change it and make it more condusive to better CIP action. I really just need balls that operate at a lower pressure and GPM. I just can’t offord $300-$500 per ball at the moment. The balls from China are poorly sealed and a lot of water comes out of the junction between the body and the ball prior to the ball. I suspect these won’t last long anyways due to the single unsealed bearing that they rotate on. Is there a way to measure my GPM and pressure prior to it entering the CIP arm? I’m thinking that I could hook up my flow meter between the process hose and the CIP arm for GPM. But I’m not sure about pressure.
      The liquid actually lubricates those unsealed bearings... Sounds like you already discovered its the plumbing thats causing your issue but you hope to find a different cheap spinning sprayball that will work with less flow and pressure here?

Edit* The same thought as above crossed my mind with the sprayballs interfering with each other but im no sprayball expert because Ive never even used one yet.
      Last edited by augiedoggy; 06-07-2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Hello,

Here are a couple pictures of the MLT manifold with the CIP balls in place. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2296.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	191756Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2295.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	191757

Comment

With those being so close together it is worth a try to pull two of those SBs and cap the outlets and just run a CIP with two of them (preferable opposite sides. It can't hurt to try it. You can stop your rakes between the two SBs and get both sides clean. Cheers
          Joel Halbleib
          Partner / Zymurgist
          Hive and Barrel Meadery
          6302 Old La Grange Rd
          Crestwood, KY
          www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
          X